4 Jan 2021 Meeting Minutes

January 25, 2021

4 Jan 2021

PSEC via Google Meet

Attendees

Charles  Beard AIAA

George Bondor SAE

Dave Butcher IEEE

Carmen Cejudo ASHRAE

Gail Cornelius SWE

Sam Gheesling ASME

Paul Grant ASCE

Luis Leon ASM

Beth Mende APWA

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE


Call To Order

Kathi called meeting to order at 6:08 pm

Approval of Agenda

December meeting minutes approved

Around the Room

Each attendee gave the status of their society and/or plans for this month’s meeting

Calendar

Dave noted links to ASHRAE, SWE, joint SAMPE/ASMI, and AIAA retiree’s meetings are on the PSEC events calendar

Treasurers Report

Dave reported that there are four societies that have not paid dues

Engineering Fair Report

Beth and Carmen gave a Cliff Notes description of what they propose for a virtual Engineering Fair project. The group felt it would be quite a project. That coupled with many people (esp students) getting “Zoomed” fatigued might be too much. Beth will send a written copy of the proposal to Kathi who will distribute to the Board to be voted on. 

Banquet

Sam verified that the Museum of Flight is holding a date for us in June 2021. The group discussed this at length concerning the rate of vaccine inoculation, the rate of reduction in COVID cases and the lead times required to firm up the banquet. The board decided to cancel the 2021 Engineering Banquet and look forward to the 2022 banquet.

Mentor Nights

The Seattle Central Zoom meeting with breakout sessions on 29 April 2021 is the only Mentor night currently scheduled.  Andrew Gall is pursuing having  North Seattle and South Seattle join in on this. UW Bothel is also looking into a possible similar meeting. Gail reported that all three UW campuses are organizing a similar virtual mentor meeting.

Intersociety Officers Workshop

Decision postponed to the April board meeting

Meeting Adjourned at 6:50 pm

Meeting Adjourned at 6:50 pm

Next Page »

7 Dec 2020 Meeting Minutes

December 29, 2020

7 Dec 2020

PSEC via WebEx

Attendees

George Bondor SAE

Dave Butcher IEEE

Gail Cornelius SWE

Andrew Gall SME

Sam Gheesling ASME

Paul Grant ASCE

Luis Leon ASM

Regina Long IIS

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE


Call To Order

Kathi calledmeeting to order at 6:04

Approval of Agenda

Approved

Approval of Minutes

November meeting minutes approved

Around the Room

Each attendee gave the status of their society and/or plans for this month’s meeting

Calendar

Dave volunteered to figure out how to utilize the calendar function (see website update)

Website Update

Dave reported that Sergio has had some changes in his life and can no longer serve as our Webmaster. Dave will assume responsibility until a new volunteer steps up

Engineering Fair Report

Beth and Carmen are ironing out details for the online proposal. They are working on a formal writeup to present to the council

Banquet

Sam reported the Museum of Flight is kindly holding space for May or June 2021. The council voted to postpone a firm decision until the January 2021 meeting

Mentor Nights

Luis reported that Seattle Central has taken the lead  for a Zoom meeting with breakout sessions on 29 April 2021. Andrew volunteered to contact North Seattle and South Seattle to determine possible interest in this meeting. UW Bothel is also looking into a possible similar meeting. Gibson EK high school may still be interested in a college career night activity.

Intersociety Officers Workshop

Discussion postponed to the January 2021mee

Meeting Adjourned at 6:45 pm

Next Page »

2 Nov 2020 Meeting Minutes

November 17, 2020

2 Nov 2020

PSEC via WebEx

Attendees

Charles Beard AIAA

George Bondor SAE

Dave Butcher IEEE

Andrew Gall SME

Sam Gheesling ASME

Paul Grant ASCE

Luis Leon ASM

Regina Long IISE

Beth Mende AWWA

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE

Call To Order

Kathi called meeting to order at 6:01pm

Approval of Agenda

Approved

Approval of October minutes

October meeting minutes approved

Around the Room

Each participant gave the status of their society and/or the plans for this month’s meeting

Treasurers Report

Dave reported that six societies have promptly paid this year’s dues. Our current bank balance is $14195

WebMaster

Dave reported that Sergio is on board and has already made some minor changes to our website

Engineering Fair

Beth reported that she and Carmen have had several discussions. They are working on a proposal that would involve each society coming up with an activity that could be sent out to participants. This would involve a video with instructions. Required details are still in discussion: age group, how to acquire names and addresses of participants etc. Beth will send a summary to Kathi

Engineering Banquet

Discussion and decision postponed to December meeting

Mentor Nights

Luis reported that Seattle Central is tentatively scheduled for 21 Apr 2021. They will host the ZOOM breakout sessions

Andrew reported that Seattle University has already conducted a Mentor night

Kathi has been contacted by Gibson Ek High School in the Issaquah School District. They are interested in some kind of College Career night activity

ISOW

Discussion postponed to the January meeting

Next Meeting

7 Dec 2020

Meeting Adjournd at 6:51pm

Next Page »

5 Oct 2020 Meeting Minutes

October 15, 2020

5 Oct 2020

PSEC meeting via WebEx

Attendees

Charles Beard AIAA

George Bondor  SAE

Dave Butcher IEEE

Camen Cejudo ASHRAE

Andrew Gaul SME

Sam Gheesling ASME

Paul Grant ASCE

Luis Leon ASM

Bethany Mende AWWA

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Kathi ShoeMake ASHRAE

Call to Order

Kathis called meeting to order at 6:04 pm

Approval of agenda

Approved

Approval of minutes

The September meeting minutes were approved with one exception; our September bank account balance  is actually $13300

Around the room

Each participant stated the status of their society in the current COVID-19 environment

Treasurers report

Dave reported our current account balance of $13600

WebMaster

Dave reported he has recruited a qualified volunteer, Sergio Moraes. The group approved his recommendation. Dave will proceed with bringing Sergio on board

Engineering Fair

Paul reported that the popsicle bridge competition is tentatively been scheduled for 6 Mar 2021 at the Museum of Flight. This is important to us if we want to schedule  a physical Engineering Fair concurrent with the competition.

Bethany had some thoughts for a virtual approach to our Engineering Fair. Each society would create a 10 minute video to be shown online in a virtual meeting. This might be presented concurrently with the virtual Washington State Science and Engineering  Fair (WSSEF) scheduled on 26-27 March 2021. Bethany will investigate this approach. Carmen volunteered to help Bethany with this approach.

Engineering Banquet

A decision will be made in our December meeting if we will reschedule for spring 2021 or fall 2021

Mentor Nights 

Luis had an interesting conversation with Seattle Central College. The contact there is enthusiastic about the mentor night using a ZOOM feature that provides breakout sessions. Luis will explore the capabilities of this feature.

ISOW

Postponed 

New Officers

Kathi Shoemake President

Andrew Gall President understudy

Dave Butcher Treasurer

George Bondor Secretary

This slate was approved by the Board

Next Meeting 2 Nov 2020

Meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm

Next Page »

14 Sep 2020 PSEC Mtg

September 24, 2020

14 Sep 2020 PSEC Mtg Minutes

PSEC Mtg via WebEx

Attendees

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE

Dave Butcher IEEE

Charles Beard AIAA

Luis Leon ASM

Sam Gheesling ASME

Carmen Cejudo ASHRAE

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Paul Grant ASCE

Matt Clegg SME

George Bondor SAE

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting to Order at 6:05

Approval of Agenda

Approved with one addition “Covid 19 considerations” after Approval of Minutes

Approval of Minutes

Approved. George will attempt to get them out sooner

COVID19 Considerations

Lengthy discussion

PSEC meetings to continue on WebEx until state puts Seattle into phase 4 (possibly phase 3) 

Engineering Banquet and Engineering Fair postponed until fall of 2021 (earliest). Solicitations for awards and venue reservations initiated in spring of 2021. All contingent on how well COVD19 is controlled.

Mentor program on hold. Luis to contact schools for input. Early 2021 possible contingent on state upgrading of phases.

SME is planning virtual seminars for students graduating in June 2021

Around the room

Each attendee reported on how their societies are coping with COVID19. Most are diving into virtual activities including monthly member meetings

Treasurers Report

Dave reported we have received the benefits of Luis’ efforts to get employee volunteering reimbursement from Boeing. Bank account balance is approximately $1300.

Calendar

Skip

Website update

Dave has not had much luck getting a volunteer to takeover webmaster duties. He will continue in that role until we have a volunteer

Engineering Fair

Paul Grant to contact ASCE student group to determine what their intentions are concerning scheduling of the popsicle stick bridge competition

Banquet

Postponed until fall 2021 (earliest)

Mentor Nights

Postponed until state upgrades phases. Luis to contact schools to get their input

Intersociety Workshop

Postponed until state upgrades phases

Action Item Review

Luis to contact schools concerning Mentor nights

Paul to contact ASCE student group concerning intentions about scheduling popsicle stick bridge  competition

Kathi to contact Andrew Gall to determine if he still on for President of PSEC

Swearing in of 2020-2021 officers

Postponed to next month

Adjourned at 7:05

Next Page »

1 Jun 2020 Mtg Minutes

September 10, 2020

PSEC via WebEx due to COVID 19 

1 June 2020 

Attendees

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE

George Bondor SAE

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle

Charles Beard AIAA

Dave Butcher IEEE

Regina Long ISE

Luis Leon ASM

Sam Gheesling ASME

Eugene Brown ASME

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting or order at 6:02

Approval of Agenda

Approved

Approval of May meeting minutes

Approved

Treasurer Report

Dave Butcher reported that late checks for the banquet have been received. We are stil not quite at the break even point. A sponsor is still needed.

Website Updates

Dave requested we send any suggestions for the PSEC website appearance improvements to him

ISOW

Due to COVID 19  group ageed to defer the next ISOW until June  2021

2020-2021 officers

Andrew Gall has agreed to be chairperson. 

Open Discussion

Luis has located the Boeing weblink that give instructions on how to obtain support. With our 501C3 qualification he will attempt to sign us up.

Kathi will contact Razzis to reserve room for 14 Sep 2020 meeting (if open)

Adjourned at 6:43

Next Page »

4 May 2020 PSEC Meeting Minutes

May 29, 2020

4 May 2020 Meeting Minutes

PSEC via WebEx due to COVID 19 

4 May 2020 

Attendees

Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE George Bondor SAE

John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle Eugene Brown ASME

Dave Butcher IEEE Paul Grant ASCE

Luis Leon ASM Sam Gheesling ASME

Call to Order

Kathi called meeting or order at 6:02

Approval of Agenda

Approved

Approval of March meeting minutes

Approved

Around the Room

Each attendee reported that most society activities have been suspended due to COVID 19

Treasurer Report

Dave Butcher reported we are almost at breakeven for the year with a current $900 deficit. Compared to past years the difference is that we need a Banquet sponsor. With our IRS status established, Luis is making inquiries in Boeing to detemine if they are willing to restablish as our Banquet sponsor. Luis will also confirm if Boeing will reimburse to PSEC Boeing employees PSEC volunteer time. 

Website Updates

Dave confirmed our Drop Box capacity has been increased and that our website will be backed up to the Drop Box

Banquet

One society has not paid for table yet and is asking for and invoice. Dave will handle this

Mentor Nights

The 5 Mar 2020 mentor night at North Seattle College was successful with 7 mentors and 22 students

The 14 Apr 2020 mentor night at Highline College was cancelled due to COVID 19

Luis provided the year’s Mentor Night counts summary:

University Date Mentors Students

Seattle U 10/14/19 20 65

Green River 1/15/20 14 133

Seattle Central 1/30/20 15 165

Shoreline 2/19/20 6 20

UW Bothell 2/27/20 18 45

North Seattle 3/5/20 7 21

Highline 4/15/20 Cancelled

ISOW

Due to COVID 19  group discussed the possiblitiy of doing a virtual meeting. Decided that a physical face to face is much more effective. Decided to cancel the Jun 2020 meeting and possibly push it out to Sep 2020

Next years officers

The current Treasurer (Dave Butcher) and Secretary (George Bondor) agreed to continue in that capacity for next year. No official agreement for Chairperson yet.

Adjourned at 6:41

Next Page »

2 Mar 2020 Meeting Minutes

April 30, 2020

2 Mar 2020

PSEC meeting at Razzis

Attendance:

Kathi Shoemake  ASHRAE Sam Ghessling ASME

Andrew Gall          SME Regina Ong IISE

Luis Leon ASM George Bondor SAE

Butcher IEEE

Call to Order:

6:04  Kathi called meeting to order

Approval of Minutes:

February Minutes not yet posted on website 

Around the Room:

Each participant stated their society affiliation and upcoming meeting status

Treasurers Report:

Reviewed with no changes

Calendar:

Reviewed what is currently on the calendar and highlighted the ISOW event in June. Details are forthcoming

Website:

No comments

Engineering Fair:

Discussed a possible date change to 6 Mar 2021. The popsicle bridge competition which draws a large number of high schoolers is changing to that date. We as a group agreed it would be in our best interests to change the Engineering Fair date to 6 Mar 2021. Kathi suggested we create a list of technically related groups/activities aimed at High School and below students and actively promote the Fair to them.

Engineering Banquet:

62 meals served at this years banquet. After discussion agreed that 8 attendees per table is the best configuration. Next years banquet is tentatively scheduled on 13 Feb 2021

PSEC Awards

Agreed that PSEC needs to promote greater participation in nominating potential recipients

Mentor Nights:

Shoreline College:  on 19 Feb  6 mentors/20 students

UW Bothel: on 27 Feb  18 mentors/45 students

North Seattle College: upcoming on 5 Mar  possibly 13 mentors

ISOW: 

Still evolving. More info to come soon

New Topics:

PSEC President plans to attend society Board Meetings to pitch PSEC

Action Item Review:

Shared Storage Unit with ASHRAE  also possibly with Engineers Without Borders. No decision

Boeing sponsorship of Banquet: With our recent IRS status in hand Luis will pursue Boeing

Group voted to expand our dropbox to 1-2 terabytes. This will cost $100 per year

Next meeting:

on 6 Apr 2020

7:15Adjourned 

Next Page »

3 Feb 2020 Meeting Minutes

3 Feb 2020

PSEC meeting at Razzis

Attendance:Kathi Shoemake  ASHRAE

John Schaufelberger    WSPE Seattle

Paul Grant            ASCE Luis Leon ASM

Matt Clegg  SME Dave Butcher IEEE

Sam Ghessling         ASME George Bondor SAE

Andrew Gall          SME Tony Huan-Wong IEEE

Call to Order:

6:12 Kathi called meeting to order

Approval of Minutes:

Both December 2019 and January 2020 minutes were approved 

Around the Room:

Each participant stated their society affiliation and upcoming meeting status

Treasurers Report:

Additional societies have paid dues

The Banquet is paid for

Luis volunteered to pursue Boeing for future Banquet Sponsorship

Calendar:

Verified that following Mentor nights are on or will be added to calendar

19 Feb Shoreline Community College

27 Feb UW Bothel

5 Mar North Seattle College

Website:

Temporary offline today as the ISP transfers us to a different server

Engineering Fair:

Good to go.

Kathi will be at PSEC booth all day and Luis and Andrew will be part time 

Engineering Banquet:

Luis presented status of reservations, table purchases and seating

Dave Butcher said programs are ready to go to printer

John Schaufelberger has the award plaques ready

Sam Ghessling has the scripts ready

Discussed number of people per table seating

Mentor Nights:

Green River College 15 Jan went well with 85 students and 17 mentors

Seattle Cental College 30 Jan went well with 100 students and 15 mentors

ISOW: 

No updates, still on for 6 Jun

Needs to be added to calendar

Next meeting on 2 Mar 2020

Next Page »

6 Jan 2020 Meeting Minutes

January 28, 2020

6 Jan 2020

PSEC Meeting at Razzis

Attendees
Kathi Shoemake ASHRAE
Andrew Gall SME
John Schaufelberger WSPE Seattle
Dave Butcher IEEE
George Bondor SAE
Luis Leon ASM
Paul Grant ASCE
Sam Gheesling ASME

Call To Order
Kathi called meeting to order at 6:00pm

Approval of Minutes
November meeting minutes approved
December meeting minutes need to be posted to website

Around the room
Each participant stated their society affiliation and upcoming meeting status

Treasurers Report
Not all member societies have paid dues. Group agreed that societies need to be contacted and prompted. There was some discussion about whether we have reliable contact info.

Website Updates
Agreed we need to refine the procedure for adding banquet info to the website

Engineering Fair
Discussed the price increase for booth space. It appears to be reasonable. Agreed we need to prompt member societies to reserver booth space

Banquet
John reported we have fiver award winners to be presented at the banquet
Our photographer will be the same as last year. Agreed we received good value for the price
We have an excellent speaker chosen
The early bird pricing cutoff is in late January

Mentor Nights
15 Jan 2020 GRCC. Need more mentors
30 Jan 2020 Seatle U. Need more mentors
Tentative in 27 Feb 2020 UW Bothell No firm date yet
5 Mar 2020 North Seatlle Community College
Luis gave a brief tutorial on posting these announcements on the Evenbrite site

Inter Society Officers Workshop
Tentative date has been set for 1st Saturday in June

Action Item Review
No takers yet on need for a PSEC tech guru

Adjourn
Kathi adjourned at 7:35pm

Next Page »