- Young Engineer of the Year 2023
Philip B. Yu
Mott MacDonald, LLC
Philip B. Yu, Mott MacDonald, LLC, has been selected as the recipient of the 2023 Young Engineer of the Year Award in recognition of his excellent work as a marine structural engineer working on multiple marine projects along both the east and west coasts, his mentorship of junior engineers, and his service as advisor to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) University of Washington Student Chapter.
Since graduating from the University of Washington, he has been involved with the Seattle Section’s ASCE Younger Member’s Forum. He served as an At-Large Chair and assisted in organizing the annual Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition and served as the co-organizer and an instructor for the Fundamentals of Engineering Review Course. Later he became the Practitioner Advisor for the University of Washington ASCE Student Chapter and provided academic and professional development advice to the chapter officers. He is an Engineer-in-Training and in the process of pursing a Professional Engineer license in California.
As a marine structural engineer, he has provided engineering services on over 30 marine projects for a variety of public entities along the east and west coasts. From structural inspections, conceptual designs, and alternative analyses to submittal reviews and punch list site visits, he has worked on both recreational and commercial facilities of various sizes, including boat launches, breakwaters, marinas, piers, and wharves. Over the past year, he has assumed more responsibility at his company by being given entire deliverables to develop, junior engineers to lead and mentor, a client to focus on for business development, a university to engage with for recruitment, and an internal training program to conduct focusing on project risk, ethics, and finance.Continue reading →
- The nominee must be under 35 years of age, between three and six years past the date of graduation, with a baccalaureate degree in Engineering, and must be a member of one of the Puget Sound Engineering Council member societies.
- The nominee should show professional society participation such as serving as a committee member or officer, or providing support at society meetings or conferences.
- The nominee should show progress in professional experience and attainments, and show progress towards or show registration as a professional engineer.
- 2022 – Amy Moore, Flatiron Construction
- 2020 – Bobbie Gilmour, Kennedy Jenks
- 2019 – Abdur Rehman, P. E., Puget Sound Energy
- 2018 – Grace Lefebure, The Boeing Company
- 2017 – Don Nguyen, P.E, COWI North America
- 2016 – Kimberly Hinson, The Boeing Company
- 2015 – Cal Bearman, PE – Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
- 2014 – Courtney Davis, P.E. – KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2013 – Zohrah Saidy, P. E. – HDR Engineering
- 2012 – Kimberly Hicks -The Boeing Company
- 2011 – Danielle Vardaro – The Boeing Company
- 2010 – Melissa Wu, P.E. – CH2M HILL
- 2009 – Kelly Griswold – The Boeing Company
- 2008 – Eric S. Herzstein, P.E. – Parsons Transportation Group
- 2007 – Erin Fletcher, P.E. – HDR Engineering
- 2006 – Doug Knapp EIT – US Army Corps of Engineers
- 2005 – Mary Holland PE – Rose Water Engr. and Jenna McGrath, PE – Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
- 2004 – Cheryl Burwell PE – Magnusson Klemensic
- 2003 – Ann Eppler PE – Hammond Collier Wade
- 2002 – Brook A. Maples PE – KPFF
- 2001 – James McSpadden Ph.D. – The Boeing Company
- 2000 – Robb A. Dibble EIT – DCI Engineers
- 1999 – Scot Bartkoske PE – ELCON Associates
- 1997 – Nancy H. Devine PE – Anne Symonds & Assoc.
- 1996 – Douglas E. Chapelle – The Boeing Company