- Kenneth W. Porter Award 2023
Davido Consulting Group, Inc.
Nicole Peden, Davido Consulting Group, Inc., has been selected as the recipient of the 2023 Kenneth W. Porter Award in recognition of her many contributions to the education of K-12 students, her service as K-12 Outreach Chair for the American Society of Civil Engineers Younger Member’s Forum; her participation in Discovery Days and the Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition, her development of virtual K-12 outreach events during the pandemic, and her commitment to developing interest in engineering among K-12 students.
Soon after graduation from the University of Washington, she joined the American Society of Civil Engineers Younger Member’s Forum (YMF) and agreed to become the K-12 Outreach Chair during the height of the pandemic. Her goals were to work on rebuilding a network of students, volunteers, and organizations since most museums, schools, and facilities closed and no longer had in-person events. She recruited YMF volunteers to participate in various virtual events. Once in-person opportunities returned, she organized in-person events and recruited YMF volunteers to participate in them. During the summer of 2022, she arranged for YMF to host a rotation during the Museum of Flight’s Fly Forward summer in-person program. For this event, she organized an activity for middle school students to create spaghetti structures and learn about structural engineering basics. Later in the autumn, she arranged for YMF to host a booth at the Museum of Flight’s Back to School Spacewalk for middle school students. The students made marshmallow and toothpick structures and asked questions about civil engineering and the volunteers’ STEM experiences. This event showcased careers in various engineering disciplines. Dedicated to outreach of K-12 students, she is passionate about inspiring future engineers, especially women engineers.Continue reading →
- Has shown strong concerns for exposing young people (K-12) to engineering type of education. Please note: exposing young people beyond high school is a bonus but must have at minimum exposed K-12 to be qualified for this award.
- Has to have shown through ceaseless efforts at E-week Fairs, Career guidance presentations, teacher coaching sessions and other opportunities; a drive and facility to deliver engineering type education to the classrooms.
- 2022 – Steven Evans, P.E. – PACCAR
- 2020 – Kristina N. Low, P.E., KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2019 – Haichuan ‘Peter’ Deng, KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2018 – Dana Day, The Boeing Company
- 2017 – Eset Alemu, P.E., Seattle Public Utilities
- 2016 – Wendy B. Lawrence Kennedy Space Center
- 2015 – Erin Slayton, PE – HDR Engineering
- 2013 – Kalan Guiley – The Boeing Company
- 2012 – Charles S. Beard – The Boeing Company
- 2010 – Karen A. Pavletich, EIT – Puget Sound Energy
- 2009 – Stephen R. Snelling – The Boeing Company
- 2008 – Stan Baber
- 2006 – Jacqueline Johnson – The Boeing Company