- Professional Engineer of the Year, 2022
M. Lee Marsh, Ph. D., P. E.
WSP USA, Inc.
M. Lee Marsh, Ph. D., P. E., WSP USA, Inc., has been selected as the recipient of the 2022 Professional Engineer of the Year Award in recognition of his lifetime achievements in the development and maintenance of seismic design procedures for bridges, his design support of numerous Northwest public agency bridge projects, and his contributions to publication of national bridge design guidelines.
As a design engineer at Berger ABAM, he quickly emerged as the firm’s go-to specialist and helped many internal teams perform seismic design and seismic assessment. He became the company seismic specialist and supported all structural practice groups in the firm – bridge, marine, and buildings with seismic design concerns. His work bridges between academic research and design of actual structures. He led the development and delivery of a National Highway Institute course on seismic design of bridges. This training provides critical skill development for application of modern bridge seismic design provisions. He supported the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials in the development of their performance-based seismic design procedures. In addition, he led a team to develop a fully precast bent system to be used for accelerated bridge construction in high seismic regions. This resulted in a demonstration bridge being constructed over I-5 south of Olympia.
He has served as a key design team member providing seismic design criteria and approaches for numerous bridge projects for Washington Department of Transportation, Seattle Department of Transportation, and Sound Transit. He was part of the team that identified and stabilized the West Seattle High Bridge cracking problem.Continue reading →
- Nominee is a professional engineer.
- Has made significant contributions in the application of engineering to meeting community needs.
- Has significantly advanced the art of engineering.
- Has actively participated in community affairs and technical societies.
- 2020 –Andrew W. Taylor, PhD., P.E., S.E., KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2019 – John H. Clark, P. E., S. E.
- 2018 – David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E., Reid Middleton, Inc.
- 2017 – Mark D’Amato, P.E., S.E., DCI Engineers
- 2016 – Vladimir Shepsis, PhD, PE Coast and Harbor Engineering, Inc.
- 2015 – Ron Klemencic, PE, SE – Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 2014 – Robert F. Mast, P.E., S.E. – Berger ABAM
- 2013 – Harvey W. Parker, Ph. D., P. E., D. GE. – Harvey Parker & Associates, Inc.
- 2012 – John V. Christiansen, P. E. – Skilling and Helle
- 2011 – John Tawresey, S.E., P.E. – KPFF Consulting Engineers
- 2010 – Raymond Walton, PhD, P.E., D.WRE – WEST Consultants
- 2009 – Neil A. Norman, P.E., FNSPE
- 2008 – John D. Hooper, P.E., S.E. – Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- 2007 – Alan Werner PE
- 2006 – W. Paul Grant PE – PanGEO
- 2005 – Don Northey, PE – TranSystems
- 2004 – Nancy E Duevel PE – Brown & Caldwell
- 2003 – Jon D. Magnusson PE – Skilling, Ward, Magnusson
- 2002 – Roger C. Young PE – ELCON Associates
- 2001 – Edwin T. Huston PE – Smith-Houston
- 2000 – Milton A. Tiede PE – The Boeing Company
- 1999 – Robert N. Parnell PE – R N Parnell Company
- 1998 – Robert W. Walker PE – The Boeing Company
- 1997 – Wally F. Urbick PE – The Boeing Company
- 1996 – Theodore O. Wright PE – The Boeing Company
- 1995 – Kenneth W. Porter PE – Pulse Turbine Ltd.
- 1994 – Roy Avent PE – Louis Warner Co.
- 1993 – Anne Symonds PE – Anne Symonds & Associates
- 1992 – Noel Ralph Adams PE – AHBL Inc.
- 1991 – William D. Ward PE – Skilling, Ward, Magnusson, Barkshire
- 1990 – Ark G. Chin PE-Kramer, Chin & Mayo
- 1989 – Thomas J. Martin PE – The Boeing Company
- 1988 – Paul C. Juhasz PE – Wash. State Energy Off., retired
- 1987 – Marie Ann Huff PE – Chute Engineering
- 1986 – Ernest F. Dodge PE – URS Corporation
- 1985 – Kenneth L. McGowan PE – McGowan Broz Engineer
- 1984 – Jack F. Eisenhawer PE – Bouillon Christofferson & Schairer
- 1983 – G. W. Van Wierenger PE – Entranco Engineers
- 1983 – M. Delles PE – Entranco Engineers
- 1982 – Luke Zankich PE – Marine Power & Equipment
- 1981 – Robert Bergseth PE – University of Washington
- 1980 – Arthur B. Sirjord PE – The Richardson Associates
- 1979 – Martin J. Boivin PE – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- 1978 – Arvid Grant PE – Arvid Grant & Associates, Inc
- 1977 – Thomas E. Sparling PE – Sparling & Associates, Inc
- 1976 – John Stuart Miller PE – Thompson, Miller & Lyons
- 1975 – Lawrence M. Baugh PE – Baugh Construction Co.
- 1974 – Frederic L.S. Salinger PE – Port of Seattle
- 1973 – Charles V. (Tom) Gibbs PE – Metro
- 1972 – Cecil L. Browder PE – Cecil L. Browder & Associates
- 1971 – Phillip F. Spaulding PE – Phillip Spaulding & Associates
- 1970 – Lincoln Bouillon PE – Bouillon Christofferson & Schairer
- 1969 – Daniel J. Evans PE – Governor & U.S. Senator