- Introductions and updates:
Greg Brown IIE: Conference in Nashville. Nominations has found a candidate for president-elect.
Dave IEEE: Decomposition of Natural Systems @ Microsoft campus.
John WSPE will meet in Sept.
Paul ASCE: 6/10 Projects awards @ Executive Inn
Art ASQ: meets very 2nd Thursday. “Digging into the Ram model”
Tricia APWA: June board mtg
- Quorum established. 11 of 19 member societies in good standing.
- Agenda approved
- Treasurer’s report: One transaction to rewrite cheque; no impact. Underspent by ~$4500, balance increased from prior year.
- Mentor Nights: Bellevue college 15 mentors, ~40 students. Plenty of food. Discussed ideas to improve attendance.
- Bylaws update: Sent out beginning 2 months ago. Paul made a motion to accept bylaws. Sam seconded. Unanimous vote to accept; 29 votes.
- ISOW report: 28 officers, 17 societies. Dave B and Carmen will lead the 2016 ISOW. Details of the workshop were posted to website.
- New PSEC website is live. Removed self-registration to minimize spam. Stan will plan to explore and evaluate alternatives so in future registration will be easy.
- APWA briefing from Tricia: APWA is broader than engineering, e.g. includes maintenance. Activities include Mariners Games and WA state standards. SWE briefing from Colleen: SWE PNW is 60 years old. When founded <1% of engineers were women. Now ~30,000 in >400 sections (professional, students, and activities beginning at or before kindergarten). Only 18% of undergraduate engineering students and 19% of graduates.
- Year in review from Leon: introduced STEM teacher of the year award.
September 8, 2015
March 9, 2014
PUGET SOUND ENGINEERING COUNCIL
Our members are the Puget Sound Chapters of the:
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
American Institute of Chemical Engineers
American Public Works Association
American Society of Civil Engineers
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air – Conditioning Engineers
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
American Society for Quality
American Welding Society
Engineers Without Borders
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Institute of Industrial Engineers
International Council of System Engineers
Society for the Advancement of
Material and Process Engineering
Society of American Military Engineers
Society of Automotive Engineers
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
Society of Plastic Engineers
Society of Women Engineers – Pacific Northwest Section
Society of Women Engineers – South Puget Sound Section
Structural Engineers Association of Washington
Washington Society of Professional Engineers – Lake Washington Section
Washington Society of Professional Engineers – Seattle Section
Washington Society of Professional Engineers – Mt. Rainier Section
Young Engineering Professionals of
To: PSEC Member Societies’ Representatives and Alternates
From: John Schaufelberger, PSEC President, 2013 – 2014
I. Meeting Announcement
Date: Monday, February 3, 2014
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: A Terrible Beauty Irish Pub and Restaurant, 1001 Fairview Avenue North, #1700, Seattle, WA 98109
Next Meeting: Monday, March 3, 2014
II. Meeting Agenda
- 1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All
Members in attendance Chris, Greg, Peter, Art, Steve, John, Colleen, Sam, Paul, Glenn, Kevin, Luis, Jason, Neil and Stan
- Sam for ASME: Focus is on the upcoming Engineer’s Week and banquet.
- Neil for WSPE, Mt. Rainier Chapter & Treasurer: No mtg planned in Feb.
- Luis for ASM Intl: Event at Ivar’s on Lake Union Tues. Feb 4th
- Glenn for WSPE Seattle: Voluteers are needed for Mathcounts. Seattle Chapter competition date was 2/8 at UW. North Puget Sound Chapter is 2/22. They need test proctors, graders, etc. Contact Roy Yang 510-735-6458 See webpage for more details http://mathcounts.org/users/ryang-2
- Steve for IIE: no Feb mtg
- Colleen for SWE: lots of events as usual. Sunday Feb 8th Role Models Matter Workshop from Techbridge, minimum of 35 attendees
2/12 -2/13 Lynnwood Science Fair judging
Sunday Feb 16th and Sat 2/25 Explore Engineering Workshop with the Girl Scouts
Region J Conference Feb 28-March 2 in Portland OR
Mentoring program March 4th at UW
Listing PSEC North Seattle mentoring night as March 6th (erroneous dates in red)
- Chris for AIAA: busy supporting Engineers Fair
- Paul for ASCE: 2/12 at McCormick & Schmick’s Harborside for a presentation about the Skagit River Bridge replacement. Two speakers are: Todd Harrison is the Assistant Regional Administrator for the Washington Department of Transportation in the Mount Baker Area; Jay Drye is the Engineering Manager for the Washington Department of Transportation in the Mount Baker Area.
- Art for ASQ: 2nd Thursday mtg is 2/13 @ the Coast Bellevue Hotel. Subject is Improving the Decision-Making Process.
Also we were sorry to hear of Art’s recent heart attack and happy to see him.
- Kevin for YEPPS: Had a very successful January event with 10 speakers and ~100 attendees. http://pugetsound.aiche.org/YEPPS
- Greg Brown for IIE Puget Sound & Chapter President: Greg was welcomed
- Peter Orsahi for SCAW: nothing to report
- 2. Approval of Agenda: approved
- 3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: approved with corrections
- 4. Review of Open Action Items from Last Meeting: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
Tribal Knowledge capture: will be focus at next mtg. John to create list & template. Jason to begin to write and create discussion points.
FIRST has 3 requests for $500. Possible further request for 4th. Work thru Kalan for now.
- 5. Treasurer’s Report : Dave Butcher (IEEE)
Dues are paid from ASCE, ASHRAE, ASMI, IEEE, IIE, SAMPE, SEW, SME, SWE, WSPE-LW, WSPE-Seattle. AIChE, SAE,
Societies still needing to pay their dues: AIAA, APWA, ASQ, AWS, SAME, SPE, WSPE-MR The form for payment is in the PSEC bylaws.
- 6. Website Updates: Stan Dyck (IEEE) Photos of the banquet speakers needed. Award recipients are listed with their bios. Will get NSCC event posted. Engineers Week proclamation from Inslee posted.
- 7. Engineering Mentor Nights:
- 8. Engineers’ Fair: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
Saturday 2/8/2014, 10am-4pm. 19 booths; could easily do +10 more booths. 9-930 set up time. AIAA working thru Boys and Girls club to publicize. Luis will bring display. Brochures, signs, etc. all organized
- 9. Engineer Awards: Steve Snelling (IIE) Plaques being made now.
- 10. Engineers’ Week Awards Banquet: Sam Gheesling (ASME)
Saturday 2/15/2014 Meal will be Salmon, Beef or Vegetarian. 53 guest signed up
- 11. Open Discussion:
- 12. Action Item Review:
a. Seattle Central Community College, Jan. 30th, 2014: Luis Leon (ASM) Had very successful event with 23 mentors and 120 students.
b. North Seattle Community College, March 5, 2014: Jason Salazar (ASME)
Working to determine event for next mtg. Saturday lunch? ~ mid-April
c. Highline Community College, Date TBD: Luis Leon (ASM) Jason has ideas for combining with a 2nd event.
d.Everett Community College, April 10th dinner: Luis Leon (ASM) Contact Amy Felt
a. Programs: Dave Butcher (IEEE) Proof available Thurs to approve.
b. Governor’s Proclamation: John Schaufelberger (WSPE) Framed. Will need a table to display.
PSEC Banner: John Schaufelberger (WSPE) Chris will bring to banquet.
c. Nametags: Neil and Art will take care of.
d.Speakers Gifts: Sam will do.
Please send comments or corrections to Colleen McClure at firstname.lastname@example.org