PSEC Meeting 10/01/2018
Agenda approved, minutes approved
Around the room
- Some organizations are required to go through their HQ before communicating with their members to laws from Europe)
- Multiple clubs now have their events on the PSEC Calendar
- Request to update roster
- Request for dues will be coming soon
- Nonprofit status is reinstated – this means PSEC is eligible for Boeing (and other corporate) funding
- Need to refile every year to avoid losing it again
- Engineering fair is confirmed for Museum of Flight for Feb 9
- Banquet is no longer tentative (will again be held at the Museum of Flight)
- Currently no mentor nights scheduled
- Open action to create an inventory for physical things PSEC owns (banners, etc). Considering wordpress for this use
- Expect an email asking “who has what?”
- If you have an item that belongs to PSEC, let Stan know
- What about previous discussion on need for a storage unit?
- Mentor night reporting – this action hasn’t been worked yet because no mentor nights are scheduled. Idea is to have a standard template that people can complete after mentor nights to capture details/feedback.
- Museum of Flight, Skyline room, 6-10pm
- 5pm we are allowed in for set up
- 6-7 social
- 7 dinner
- Speaker – asked the UW Bothell Dean of the College of STEM to be speaker, Dr. Elaine Scott
- One Academic award 3 years ago
- Topic has not been decided, but have proposed something about trends in education
- Not confirmed but “she will probably say yes”
- Sam is open to having other speakers if people have suggestions
- Agreement to give her a deadline of the end of the month to confirm, otherwise 11/01 we will need to reach out to secure other speakers
- This will be the 61st annual banquet. Unfortunately we do not have any archives going back to ’58.
- Food is not arranged
- Working to secure a $2,000 donation from Boeing for this event
- Sam has created a spreadsheet to break down the past award winners and their employers.
- 39 of the past winners were Boeing employees, 27 were UW, all other companies are single digits
- Fundraise? Before we solicit sponsorship, we need to figure out what we have to offer in exchange for sponsorship (ex, company name in the program)
- There are lots of Aerospace companies in the area
- Civil engineers are typically the ones who submit nominations
- If anyone has examples of tiered sponsorship, please share with the group.
- Boeing pays $2,000 to get 4 dinners, their name on the event and screen
- Proposed that (silver) $500 – 1 dinner, (gold) $1000 – 2 dinner, (platinum) $2000 – 4 dinners
- Will also put logos on program and screen, but only “platinum” ($2,000+) will be on the screen. Logos will vary in size based on sponsorship level.
- All of this sponsorship is to sponsor the Awards Banquet, not PSEC in general
- We will definitely want to have the Speaker finalized before creating the program
- We do not need to have the speaker lined up before we look for sponsorship
- We need to list that we are a not for profit on the brochure
- Remember to include “what is the banquet” “what is it for” “what are we asking for” “what do they get for sponsorship”
- There will be a draft document that can be voted on/edited at next months meeting
- It should be circulated electronically prior to the next meeting so that everyone can provide feedback.
- November is our target month to approach people for sponsorship
- Awards will appear on the PSEC website in the middle of October and an email will be sent out to PSEC reps
- Stan will add the deadline to the calendar
- We could also have a table in the banquet room for companies to leave a brochure on their firm
- Email from Jason Salazar and a gentleman from Seattle U – they are willing to put on a mentor night. They need someone to chair this event
- UW is doing an engineers week event and they would like some help for that – Gail Cornealius is coordinating student chapters on campus
- All of our member societies have student chapters at UW
- It is unclear what the ask from PSEC is
- Is she looking for us to send this info out to members or to attend the event and participate as PSEC?
- Unclear if this event is in April or February
- Seattle Pacific is coordinating an event without PSEC – no mentor night stuff
- Need to follow up with Seattle Central for mentor night 3rd week in January
- We typically don’t have any in the Fall?
- Usually Seattle Pacific, Seattle U, UW Bothell maybe would be interested?
- Need to follow up with UW Bothell to see if they are interested
- Need to find out what the proposed date it is for Seattle U
- Need to recruit more people to be coordinators
Action Item Review
- Dave talked to Kathi about non-traditional potential PSEC members