[PSEC] WA Future Cities Competition information

Stephen Snelling stephen.r.snelling at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 15:43:09 PDT 2013

PSEC reps.,

Attached is the information on the Washington Future Cities Competition -
that was handed out at last night's PSEC Council meeting.  Please forward it
on to your parent engineering society - to see if they are willing to help
as volunteers or sponsors - for the local Competition.

Shown below is a short narrative - that you can use for your society's
electronic newsletter.

Thanks,

Steve Snelling

IIE rep. to PSEC

(425) 876-7889

 <mailto:stephen.r.snelling at gmail.com> stephen.r.snelling at gmail.com

The Washington State Regional - Future City Competition is part of National
Engineers Week, geared towards middle school students - in which they design
a city of the future using SimCity, build a scaled model using recyclable
materials, write an essay on a yearly topic, and compete at our regional
competition on January 25th at the Museum of Flight.  This year's topic -
"Tomorrow's Transit:  Design a way to move people in and around your city."

We are looking for science and math teachers to sign up schools for the
competition so please help us spread the word.  The competition is open to
kids in grades 6, 7, and 8 who are from the same school, a home school
environment, or are members of a nationally, regionally, or state-recognized
youth-focused organization, such as the Boy or Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls
Clubs, 4-H, etc.  We have 11 schools currently registered and need 9 more to
be able to qualify for the national competition in Washington DC.  There is
no fee to register and the deadline is October 15th.

There are lots of ways for engineers (and your engineering societies) to
help out:  Mentor a team, or be a Sponsor of the competition, or be an essay
or model Judge.

We are happy to present at your committee meetings - just let us know when
and where and we will be there!

More info can be found on our regional website:
<http://washingtonfuturecity.org/index.html>
http://washingtonfuturecity.org/index.html.

Or contact anyone on the WA State Region - Steering Committee:
http://washingtonfuturecity.org/committee.html

Thanks,

Katrina Alexander

Office: 386-4269