PSEC Meeting Notes 11.06.17

January 3, 2018

PSEC Meeting – Nov. 11, 2017

Present: Sam Ghesling, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, George Bondor, Don Flemming, Marina, Luis Leon, Chris Roberdeau, Kathi Shoemake

  • Call to Order : 6:02PM
  • Approval of Agenda : Motioned & Approved
  • Approval of Minutes : Not available yet
  • Around the Room :
    • Stan Dyck : IEEE
    • Dave Butcher : IEEE 11/9 Nanotech for Cancer Screening
    • George Bondor :SAE 11/18 LaMay Museum
    • Don Flemming : IISE Tour of Starbucks roasting Plan 12/7
    • SWE : online meeting 12/15 Blue Origin Tour, KISE (Kids in Science & Engineering
    • Luis Leon : ASM Monthly meeting now downstairs Tesla R&D typical materials and Processes used on automotive bodies
    • WSPE : Mon 20th Best Western : WestPoint Treatment plant What happened
    • Sam Ghesling: Next Tues meeting  Stress analysis engineer on Terra Power
    • Chris Roberdeau: AIAA council meeting next Tues. Next Sat Annual Tech Symposium in Lynnwood
    • 10/19 Art Moss was in a coma and died 10/22, Memorial Service coming up next Weds.
  • Treasurer Report : PSEC Account Update shared with representatives present
    • Reminder: Talk with your societies to pay your dues
  • Calendar : Banquet has been moved to the 3rd, January meeting moved to 8th, Dec 15th Awards Nominations due, Seattle Central College mentor night in January, Feb 10th Engineering Fair
  • Website Updates :
  • Mentor Nights
    • SPU : 10/18th  room changes made student interaction in other rooms than the panel discussion, was a bit noisy, 76  students to 31 mentors, remuneration for students suggested  –  $4/head ~ $400 , motioned and approved
    • SU
    • Olympic College –reached out to arrange a mentor night in Spring 2018
  • AIAA Tech Symposium Sponsorship : PSEC sponsorship multi-tiered availability,  sponsorship rejected by consensus
  • Engineering Fair : Caterer is arranged and lined up
  • Awards Banquet: Museum of Flight, usual room, setup at 5 event at 6. Meals selected – no change from previous years, speaker : B-29 and B-17 , Dale Thompson, Herb is the other speaker, single speaker, 60th Annual banquet
  • Awards Committee: Submission date of 12/15. Select and submit your nominations now!!!
  • ISOW : Saturday in May, TBD , please talk with your society about topics to discuss
  • Action Item Review
    • Look into history of engineering speaker
    • Confirm ISOW date
    • Confirm date for SCC mentor night
  • Adjourn : 7:09PM
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes September 11, 2017

September 25, 2017

PSEC Meeting – Sept. 11, 2017

Present: Chris Roberdeu, Sam Ghesling, John Schaufelberger, Dave Butcher, George Bender, Don Fleming, Art and Judy Moss, Charles Beard, Andrew Gaul, Marina Daniker, Ray Wolfe, Stan Dyke, Paul Grant

  • Call to Order – Called
  • Approval of Agenda – Vote taken: Approved
  • Approval of June Minutes – Vote taken: Approved
  • Introductions/Around the Room
    • Sam Ghessling (ASME) – next chapter meeting @ Razzi’s 9/12 5:30-9
    • Dave Butcher (IEEE) – next chapter meeting 9/12 6-7 Microsoft rm 1999 Presentation of Hydraulic and Electric actuation
    • George Bender (SAE) – Next board meeting 9/12
    • Don Fleming (IISE) – tours are planned for the year
    • Art and Judy Moss (ASQ) – 9/14 chapter presentation on job hunting & interview skills @ Coast Hotel in Bellevue, Oct meeting is on website
    • Charles Beard (AIAA) – board meeting 9/11
    • Chris Roberdeu (PSEC President /AIAA) – tech symposium next month
    • Andrew Gaul (SME) – meeting occurred Sat (9/9). Tour of casting plant
    • Kathi (ASHRAE) – next chapter meeting (9/14) presentation on State of Refrigerants Today
    • Marina Daniker (SWE) – officer meeting 9/10, nothing else scheduled yet.
    • Ray Wolfe (INCOSE) – Actively planning a regional conference.
    • Stan Dyck (IEEE) website is PSEConline.org
    • Paul Grant (ASCE) – next meeting is Wednesday, 9/13
  • President’s Goals for the Year
    1. Maintain good strong participation and involvement in engineering fair and activites
    2. STEM focus and participation growth
    3. Society and commitment from engineering societies
  • Treasurer Report
    1. IRS low down – IRS requires a long form 1023 which requires 4 year of past finances. Finance will be done by the end this week.
    2. Update rooster – Request to update rooster with new officers (representatives & treasurer)
    3. Budget review – Standard numbers used for most line items. Income, fair and banquet. Added IRS filing with margin of error. STEM education item.

Vote taken: approved

  • Calendar
    Mentor Nights on the calendar
    PSEC meetings for the year
    Mentor night 10/17 Seattle Pacific University – 4 different rooms instead of one
    Issues being experienced with EventBrite – please assist if you know the EventBrite
    Engineers fair is not yet scheduled Bridge building competition has moved to same day as banquet. Chris will confirm fair day.
    Banquet is scheduled 2/10/17. Banquet reservation needs to be confirmed.
    First weekend in May is ASQ World – Wa St convention center
    Add your society events to the website
  • Website Updates
    PSECevents@gmail.com – Allows you to insert events with a gmail account the google calendar will easily share
    Do outreach to your society. Point them to the PSEC website and get sharing.
    If you are not on the email list contact Stan
  • Mentor Nights
    Looking for a volunteer to be mentor nights chair- it doesn’t have to be a rep
    Who had spearheaded these nights? Louie, Steve, Jason
  • Engineering Fair
    See above. Beth is the chairperson regarding the fair.
    Stamp booklet scavenger hunt recommended where visiting a booth will get you a stamp.
  • Awards Banquet
    Sam is in contact – Sat Feb 10th hold for the skyline room – needs approval for confirmation
    Motion : Commit to Museum of Flight & make deposits & sign Contract on either of 10th or 17th whichever is available. – Approved
    Chris will confirm date
    Suggestions for keynote speaker are requested
  • Awards Committee
    John is planning on solicitations for award submissions in October. Nominations due Mid-December
  • ISOW
    Kathi will spearhead this year
  • Action Item Review
    • Update contact information with Steve {All}
    • Share google calendar with Stan {All}
    • Verify date of Engineering Fair {Chris}
    • Cement date for banquet {Stan}
    • Find an Outreach/K-12 coordinator {All}
    • Solicit your societies for a Mentor Night coordinator {All}
    • Solicit recommendations for ASQ speakers {All}
  • Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes June 5, 2017

June 6, 2017

Date: Monday, June 5, 2017
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria (Party Room) 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103 (map)
Next Meeting:  Monday September 11, 2017

Meeting Minutes

In attendance

  • Don Fleming, IISE
  • Art & Jude Moss, ASQ
  • Chris Roberdeau, AIAA
  • Luis Leon, ASM
  • John Shaufelberger, WSPE
  • Sam Gheesling, ASME
  • Dave Butcher, IEEE
  • Ray Willaford, INCOSE
  • Kathi Shoemake, ASHRAE
  • Connie, SWE
  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All
  2. Approval of Agenda
    1. Approved
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes:
    1. Need to update minutes to provide clear detail on the election following the approval of the slate of candidates
      1. 2017-2018 officer election held
      2. Charles Beard, Dave Butcher and Kathi Shoemake were elected to president elect, treasurer and secretary positions for 2017-2018
      3. Chris Roberdeau becomes president (this is not elected, this is part of the progression of the position)
      4. Dave Butcher becomes past president (this is not elected, this is part of the progression of the position)
  4. Treasurer’s Report:
    1. Julie was not in attendance
  5. By-Laws Update:
    1. Discussed changes
    2. Vote taken: unanimous approval for updated by-laws
    3. John to send to Stan for publication on website
  6. Non-Profit Status Next Steps:
    1. Dave will contact Julie to get current status and correspondence with IRS
    2. Based on review of correspondence take next step
      1. If IRS solely requesting update of by-laws, send updated by-laws
      2. If additional requirements, Dave to research next step
  7. Website Updates:
    1. Stan was not in attendance
  8. ISOW:
    1. Successful event
    2. 21 participants
    3. Great venue
    4. Notes from tables sent out to attendees
    5. Dave to put the notes on the PSEC web site and send out a link to all reps
  9. Mentor Nights:
    1. Seattle Central was successful: 136 students, 19 mentors
    2. Shoreline was good for an infrequent event: 20 students, 8 mentors
  10. The Year in Review:
    1. Dave gave a presentation reviewing the year
    2. Dave thanked all who have given their time over the year making PSEC successful
    3. Presentation is in Dropbox
  11. Incoming President Remarks:
    1. Chris thanked Dave for service
    2. Chris talked about things to accomplish over the next year
  12. Open Discussion:
  13. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting Review:
  14. Swearing in New PSEC Officers:
    1. John swore in Chris, Dave and Kathi as the 2017-2018 officers
    2. Charles was not in attendance
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, May 1 2017

May 11, 2017

Date: Monday, May 1, 2017
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103
Next Meeting:  Monday, June 5, 2017

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
Louie LeFevre SAME
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Luis Leon ASMI
Frank Portello, Turner Joy Bremerton Historic Ships Assoc.
John Hanson, Turner Joy Bremerton Historic Ships Assoc.
Jason Salazar PSEC Volunteer
Paul Grant ASCE
Kathi Shoemake ASHRE
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
John Hicks Guest

Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ EventsAll
    • See attendance above. Sam ran the meeting.
  2. Approval of AgendaAll
    • Agenda approved with some rearranging.
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting MinutesAll
    • Minutes approved as written
  4. Turner Joy Presentation: John Hanson, Frank Portello
    • John and Frank gave a presentation and an introduction to the programs they run on the USS Turner Joy. They offer classes that target the 5th-7th grade level students that present STEM topics.
    • The seek a partnership with the PSEC perhaps using our Mentor program as a resource.
    • Some discussion ensued. Louie agreed to present a more formal list of ideas to be brought to the next meeting.
  5. Treasurer’s ReportJulie Bennett (SWE)
    • Julie was not in attendance. Some report will need to be delieverd for the June meeting.
  6. By-Laws Update: Julie Bennett (SWE)
    • John sent out an email before the meeting with the suggested language changes in the bylaws required to maintain our tax status. Some rearranging of the text was made (PSECBylaws-2017 revision proposal -May 1).
    • John agreed to collect the changes and send it out with the goal of voting on the changes at the June meeting.
  7. Website UpdatesStan Dyck (IEEE)
    • Stan updated the registration for the pseconline.org domain for another year.
  8. ISOW: Kathi Shoemake (ASHRAE)
    • To be held this weekend. An announcment has gone out. RSVPs were requested.
    • Kathi will work to get an announcement on the website.
  9. Mentor NightsJason Salazar (PSEC)
    • 2 more events in May
    • Jason repoted on the Bellevue event. It was the largest such event yet there with 70+ students and 9 mentors
    • Luis reported on the Highline College event. It had around 50 students and 10 mentors. He got a good list of recommendations/feedback which he will use for future events.
    • Luis also reported that the upcoming Seattle Central event has about 66 students and 14 mentors signed up so far. He will send out another message to solicit more.
    • Art reported on the Everett event. There were around 7 mentors and lots of students in attendance.
    • An SPU event was added for October 17th.
  10. 2017-2018 Officer Elections: Sam Gheesling (ASME)
    • A new slate of candidates was approved for election at next months meeting. They are
      • Chris Roberdeau – President
      • Charles Beard – President Elect
      • Dave Butcher – Treasurer
      • Kathi Shoemake – Secretary
  11. Open DiscussionAll
    • Art reported from the AmCon show. There was a lot of 3D printing displays this year. Art will bring leftover materials to the ISOW
    • Stan reported that he will not be able to attend the June meeting. Kathi agreed to handle the secretary duties.
  12. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting ReviewAll
    • See below

Action Items

  • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
  • Ask for volunteers for k-12 STEM coordinator
  • Add some banquet photos to website [Stan]
  • Add ISOW announcement to website [Kathi]
  • Get treasurers report from Julie [Stan]
  • Send revised bylaws to John for distribution [Stan]
  • Ask Dave to bring the trifold to the ISOW [Kathi]
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, April 3, 2017

April 17, 2017

Date: Monday, April 3, 2017
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103
Next Meeting:  Monday May 1, 2017

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
Louie LeFevre SAME
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Kathi Shoemake ASHRE
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
George Bondor SAE
Charles Beard AIAA
Luis Leon ASMI
Katie Elliott SWE
John Osborne SAMPE
Jason Salazar PSEC Volunteer

Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ EventsAll
    • See attendance. Stan ran the meeting in the absence of Dave and Chris
  2. Approval of AgendaAll
    • Approved noting the absence of some of the agenda item people.
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting MinutesAll
    • Approved as written
  4. Treasurer’s ReportJulie Bennett (SWE)
    • Julie was not in attendance. Stan agreed to ask for a written report.
  5. By-Laws Update: Julie Bennett (SWE)
    • The IRS requirements may necessitate a bylaws change. Julie has the details.
    • John agreed to contact Julie to contact Julie. Sam and Luis will help draft the changes necessary.
  6. Website UpdatesStan Dyck (IEEE)
    • Stan added links to Facebook and Twitter pages on front page of PSEC website.
    • Banquet photos are available for purchase on website
    • Stan will add more photos from the banquet on the banquet page.
  7. K-12 STEM: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • Dave was not in attendance. This will be discussed at the ISOW.
  8. Engineering Fair Retrospective: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • Chris not in attendance.
  9. BanquetSam Gheesling (ASME)
    • Photos were uploaded to dropbox
    • All bills are paid
    • The Museum of Flight has penciled us in for next year
  10. Awards: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
    • Nothing new on this.
  11. ISOW: Kathi Shoemake (ASHRAE)
    • There will be three topics for discussion: Programs, Social Media, and Getting Volunteers. They will be headed up by Same, Kathi, and Dave.
  12. Mentor NightsJason Salazar (PSEC)
    • Events are coming up in April and May.
    • Bellevue needs help for their afternoon event.
    • Highline also could use some more volunteer help
    • Steve is still looking for a coordinator for next year’s Shorline event
  13. Discuss Tri-fold design: Stan Dyck (IEEE)
    • The officers photo on the tri-fold needs to be updated
    • John suggested that it be brought to the ISOW and a sidebar session can be held to do the necessary changes.
  14. Open DiscussionAll
    • Art is still looking for volunteers for the Amcon Event
  15. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting ReviewAll
    • See below

Action Items

  • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
  • Ask for volunteers for k-12 STEM coordinator
  • Send out AmCon invite to society members [all]
  • Ask Julie about bylaws changes [John]
  • Add some banquet photos to website [Stan]
  • Add ISOW announcement to website [Kathi]
  • Get treasurers report from Julie [Stan]
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, March 6, 2017

March 20, 2017

Date: Monday, March 6, 2017
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
Dave Butcher IEEE
Jason Salazar PSEC Volunteer
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Steve Snelling IISE
Katie Elliott SWE
Kathi Shoemake ASHRE
Luis Leon ASMI
Paul Grant ASCE
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
John Osborne SAMPE

Agenda

 

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ EventsAll
    • See attendance above
  2. Approval of AgendaAll
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting MinutesAll
    • Approved as written
  4. Treasurer’s ReportJulie Bennett (SWE)
    • Julie was not in attendance. Dues notices do appear to have gone out.
  5. Website UpdatesStan Dyck (IEEE)
    • The Awards Pages were updated and put out to social media.
    • Site software has been updated to latest and it now much easier to update for the future.
  6. K-12 STEM: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • Dave is looking for a coordinator for this. There was some discussion about the requirements for the position. Society representatives are asked to help us look for someone to help us do outreach to educators and students.
  7. Engineering Fair Retrospective: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • 800-1000 kids showed up despite the rain
    • A few booths from last year didn’t make it this year. The Microsoft booth was impressive.
    • Beth is going to take over coordination duties from Chris next year.
    • Chris talked with Richard Schilling about helping to get the word out about the event and he had some good ideas about this that should help to improve attendance next year.
    • There was some discussion about a possible conflict with the EngineerIt event at the Pacific Science Center which occurs on or near the same weekend as the Fair. No decision was made to change the date.
  8. BanquetSam Gheesling (ASME)
    • 94 people were served at the banquet this year
    • The keynote went well and everything went fairly smoothly.
    • The pictures are out and Sam agreed to place them in the PSEC dropbox.
    • Feedback is welcome.
  9. Awards: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
    1. Review Kenneth Porter award criteria
      • The linked proposed changes to the Porter award criteria were considered and passed. The criteria will now specify that at least 4 years of work in education will be required for consideration.
  10. ISOW: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • There is still no co-coordinator. Dave is working on it.
    • The topics list is still under consideration. If you have ideas, talk to Dave.
  11. Mentor NightsJason Salazar (PSEC)
    • Luis Leon (ASMI), Mentor Night Coordinator, announced the Seattle Central College (SCC) Mentor Night and the Highline College (HC) Mentor Night dates were set. He said that he bridged communications with a new faculty member who is taking over the Mentor Night planning, hosted at HC, to be able to continue the annual event.
    • Jason Salazar (PSEC), Mentor Night Coordinator, gave a report on the most recent Mentor Night at North Seattle College (NSC).
    • Steve Snelling (IISE), Mentor Night Coordinator, announced the Shoreline Community College (SCC) date was set.
    • Jason was in communication with a faculty member at South Seattle College (SSC) and that they may be considering hosting a STEM related Mentor type event for next Fall.
    • The annual UW-Bothell Mentor Night that was put on hold this last academic year was brought up as another potential event to be planned in Fall – Kathi Shoemake (ASHRAE) expressed interest in volunteering as the Mentor Coordinator for this event.
    • We want to encourage more Fall events because that part of the calendar is more open.
    • Jason talked about the goals for the program. He noted that it is much easier for everyone involved and of benefit to the various colleges in hosting their Mentor Night to also set-up their own volunteer registration, freeing the Mentor Coordinators from having to set-up the Eventbrite currently used, however still sending invitations and volunteer requests within the PSEC network to help supply the mentor volunteers for the various events PSEC supports.
    • It was suggested that mentor nights could be a topic for the ISOW. Jason agreed to head this topic.
  12. Open DiscussionAll
    • Since Mark Powers is currently unable to attend PSEC meetings it was agreed to table his student banquet idea for now.
    • Art is looking for volunteers to help out at the AmCon event in April. Please talk to him if you want to help.
    • Steve encouraged all to attend the UW Discovery Day event on April 22nd
    • Dave will not be able to attend the April meeting (possibly Stan also)
  13. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting ReviewAll
    • See below

Action Items

  • ISOW co-chair is needed. Please ask college reps [All]
  • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
  • Work with existing coordinators to finalize Mentor Night dates [Jason]
  • Ask for volunteers for k-12 STEM coordinator [all]
  • Put banquet photos on Dropbox [Sam]
  • Send banquet feedback to Sam [all]
  • Send out AmCon invite to society members [all]
  • Put trifold design on agenda for April meeting [Stan]

 

« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, February 6, 2017

February 7, 2017

Date: Monday, February 6, 2017
Time: 6:00 – 7:00 PM
Location: Conference Call

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Suzanne Hakam SWE
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Luis Leon ASMI
Steve Snelling IISE
Louie Lefevre SAME

Note: The regular meeting was cancelled due to inclement weather. Chris convened a conference call to cover agenda item 8, the Banquet. The following minutes were taken

  • Contracts and catering are all completed
  • Luis reports that there are 83 signed up with as many as 10 more expected. Tables are assigned. List will be finalized on Wednesday for the caterer.
  • Stan will handle printing the name badges. There was some discussion as to what information should go on the badges. Stan will work with Sam and Luis to make sure we have the right badge size and format.
  • Setup time will be at 5:30 PM.
  • Sam sent an email to the photographer detailing the expectations. She was the photographer a couple of years ago so we expect she knows the ropes.
  • Dave is working on the program and will have them printed on Wednesday.
  • John has the plaques and will need a display table for them and the Governor’s proclamation.
  • Sam will bring the projector and laptop for the presentations.
  • It was agreed that if more details need to be worked out, Chris may call another conference call before Saturday.
  • A list of attendees needs to go to the Museum of Flight so that they know who to admit.

Action Items

  • Get final banquet attendees list to Stan [Luis]
  • Bring laptop and projector to MoF [Sam]
  • Send attendees list to MoF [Chris]
  • ISOW co-chair is needed. Please ask college reps [All]
  • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
  • Work with existing coordinators to finalize Mentor Night dates [Jason]
  • Discuss Mark’s proposal with your society [all reps]
  • Bring trifold and banner for Chris for the Fair [Luis]
  • Look into updating the PSEC trifold [future agenda item]
  • Write letter of support for Seattle U [Dave]
« Previous PageNext Page »

January 9, 2017 Meeting Minutes

January 16, 2017

Date: Monday, January 9, 2017
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
George Bondor SAE
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
Mark Powers SME & IISE
Paul Grant ASCE
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Luis Leon ASMI
Dave Butcher IEEE
Steve Snelling IISE
Louie Lefevre SAME

Meeting Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ EventsAll
    • Attendance list is above
  2. Approval of AgendaAll
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting MinutesAll
    • Accepted as written
  4. Treasurer’s ReportJulie Bennett (SWE)
    • Julie was not present. No treasurer’s report
  5. Website UpdatesStan Dyck (IEEE)
    • The Banquet page has been updated with the announcement and keynote speaker.
    • The Awards page will be updated next. Stan will assist John with this as the bios and pictures are collected.
  6. K-12 STEM: Mark Powers (IISE)
    • Mark presented a proposal. He requests that the PSEC Reps plug this with their societies.
    • Mark will send out a note and offered to help plug this for societies that want more information.
    • Louie suggested that we might push this to the tech community.
  7. Engineering Fair: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • Less than a month away. All is go
    • Popsicle stick bridge competition will now be placed within view of the booths to help generate cross traffic.
    • 12 booths are sold with more expected.
    • No word yet from FIRST Robotics. If someone has a contact, please talk to Chris.
    • Volunteers are still appreciated.
    • Louie reported that SAME will not participate this year but it does look likely that they will next year.
    • Chris will do a Fair report for the website.
  8. BanquetSam Gheesling (ASME)
    • The banquet sponsorship from Boeing is still being worked out be Sam expects it will come though it will probably be late.
    • The announcement has been posted. 7 awards will be made this year. The paperwork is complete
    • Shelly Oberman will be doing the photography instead of Seattle Met. We still need to get a link for the 2016 photos from them.
    • Stan agreed to do the badges again this year.
    • Someone is still needed to handle the back table duties.
    • Dave is working on the programs.
    • Sam will be the emcee
    • The Governor’s proclamation has been requested.
  9. Awards: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
    • The awards are finished. there will be 7 recipients this year. Posting will be done soon.
    • John suggested that next year we provide copies of well-done nomination forms from the past to serve as examples to future nominators.
    • Some discussion was had about the requirements for the Kenneth Porter award related to a minimum number of years served in an educational capacity. This was tabled for further discussion later.
  10. Mentor NightsJason Salazar (PSEC)
    • Jason did not attend. Luis reported that only 8 mentors had been signed up for the SCC Mentor night so far. More are needed soon.
    • Future Cities is still looking for judges.
    • The Bellevue Mentor Lunch will be longer than last year. Probably an afternoon session (1-3 PM)
  11. ISOWDave Butcher (IEEE)
    • Dave is looking for a co-chair. Please talk to him if you want to help.
  12. Letter of Support SU NSF Grant: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • Dave presented a request from Seattle University for a letter of support for their NSF grant proposal. They are planning to rework their mechanical engineering program. The deadline given was January the 13th.
    • Dave recommended that we supply such a letter and the PSEC agreed. Dave will draft and send the letter by the 13th.
  13. Open DiscussionAll
    • Louie reported that the SAME chapter on the Penninsula is looking to start a Mentor Night program modeled on ours over in Kitsap county. As the SAME PSEC representative, he plans to act as a go-between for this effort.
    • Chris asked if other representative had received dues notices yet. He is the AIAA treasurer and had not received any yet.
  14. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting ReviewAll
    • See action item list below

Action Items

  • ISOW co-chair is needed. Please ask college reps [All]
  • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
  • Work with existing coordinators to finalize Mentor Night dates [Jason]
  • Discuss Mark’s proposal with your society [all reps]
  • Bring trifold and banner for Chris for the Fair [Luis]
  • Look into updating the PSEC trifold [future agenda item]
  • Write letter of support for Seattle U [Dave]
« Previous PageNext Page »

December 5, 2016 Meeting Minutes

December 13, 2016

Meeting Minutes

Date: Monday, December 5, 2016
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
Julie Bennett SWE
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
Katie Elliott SWE
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Steve Snelling IISE

Meeting Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All
    • Attendance was smaller, probably because of the weather
  2. Approval of AgendaAll
    • Agenda was cut a bit because of the attendance.
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting MinutesAll
    • Approved with an adjustment to Mark Powers’ society affiliation
  4. Treasurer’s ReportJulie Bennett (SWE)
    • The tax status issue has not been resolved yet. Louie identified a tax attorney but Julie decided that it wouldn’t be necessary if we did not make the status retroactive but rather just re-applied. Julie and Chris will work on filling out the forms.
    • The dues emails have been sent or are in the process.
    • A check went out for the Web hosting but no other checks this month.
  5. Website UpdatesStan Dyck (IEEE)
    • No big updates this month
    • Chris pointed out that we may not post photos of minors without written permission from their guardians.
  6. K-12 STEM: Mark Powers (IISE)
    • This was deferred since Mark was not in attendance.
  7. Engineering Fair: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • The booths email has gone out. Reminders will go out in another week or so. Beth is continuing to help Chris.
    • UW Advantage group has signed up for a booth. If you know anyone who would potentially want to get a booth, please forward their information to Chris or Beth.
    • The popsicle stick bridge competition is potentially being moved closer to the rest of the activity which should improve the traffic.
    • Chris hopes to get possibly a commercial aircraft in the parking lot this year and perhaps a distinguished guest (though that is more likely to happen next year)
    • Hoping for a better year than last year (which was already the best year ever)
  8. BanquetSam Gheesling (ASME)
    • A speaker is booked. Sam will post the announcement.
    • There was some discussion about possibly changing the photographer this year. We have used the Seattle Met photographers in the past. John and Katie agreed to attempt to line up a bid by the 10th of December. The PSEC officers will make a decision after the 10th.
    • The eventbrite site still needs to be set up. Luis and Sam are handling it.
  9. Awards: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
    • A nomination has been submitted!
    • The deadline is still the 16th of December.
  10. Mentor NightsJason Salazar (ASME)
    • Jason was not in attendance. There has been no resolution on the schedule for the Spring events but is is being worked.
    • A couple of new coordinators are being brought in and trained.
  11. Open DiscussionAll
    • Art reported that the AmCon event will be held April 11th-12 in Bellevue. A motion was passed to authorize up to $400 for expenses.
    • Steve talked a bit about broadcasting volunteer opportunities. Stan pointed out that there is a page on the website for this that is being underutilized. If you are looking to get volunteers for something, consider using that site. Simply write a post and assign it to the Volunteer Opportunities category. It will automatically appear on that page.
  12. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting ReviewAll
    • See the list below

Action Items

  • Create Student Banquet presentation [Mark]
  • Need someone to set up banquet eventbrite [Luis/Sam]
  • ISOW co-chair is needed. Please ask college reps [All]
  • Look into getting a new Outreach Coordinator [Chris/Dave]
  • Look at pro photographers (6-10pm) [John/Katie]
  • Work with existing coordinators to finalize Mentor Night dates [Jason]
« Previous PageNext Page »

November 7, 2016 Meeting Minutes

November 21, 2016

Meeting Minutes

Date: Monday, November 7, 2016
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103

Attendance

Stan Dyck IEEE
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
Dave Butcher IEEE
Neal Jacques WSPE
Julie Bennett SWE
John Schaufelberger WSPE-SEA
Sam Gheesling ASME-WWS
Jason Salazar PSEC
Katie Elliott SWE
Monica F. Manthey SAME
Jim Konigsfeld PNSW-AWWA
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Mark Powers IISE and SME
Luis Leon ASMI
Louie LeFevre SAME
Steve Snelling IISE

Meeting Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All
    • Attendance list is above
  2. Approval of Agenda: All
    • Agenda was approved with no modifications
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: All
    • Minutes were approved as written
  4. SAME: Louie LaFevre and Monica Manthey (SAME)
    • Monica gave a SAME presentation. Louie will be the PSEC representative for SAME this year.
  5. Treasurer’s Report: Julie Bennett (SWE)
    • Dues requests are going out. Due date is December 15
    • 2 banquet checks have gone out. A check is also due for the SPU mentor night
    • The tax status for the organization was not renewed in 2012 and needs to be reacquired. It is likely that we will have to hire a professional to handle it.
  6. Website Updates: Stan Dyck (IEEE)
    • Stan updated the Banquet Awards Page(s) and demonstrated how the posting system works. It is written up here.
    • The website is still due for a software update.
  7. K-12 STEM: Mark Powers (IISE)
    • No report
  8. Engineering Fair: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • Chris will be handing off duties for the Fair to Beth next year. She will be shadowing this year to learn the ropes.
    • Things are on track. Chris will be creating an eventbrite event for booth registration soon.
  9. Banquet: Sam Gheesling (ASME)
    • A speaker has been booked.
    • An eventbrite event is still needed. Sam is looking for someone to take care of that.
  10. Awards: John Schaufelberger (WSPE)
    • Nominations were solicited. They are due on December 15 by 5 pm.
  11. Mentor Nights: Jason Salazar (ASME)
    • The SPU event went well. There were around 43 mentors in attendance (the most ever). There will be no event at Seattle U this year but they are interested in holding one next year.
    • Jason is looking to have more events in Fall since we tend to have more in the Spring but it is difficult to schedule Fall events because of the school calendars are tighter. It would help to start planning a bit earlier.
    • Jason is looking to coordinate with the SWE and their mentoring events.
    • We are always looking for volunteer coordinators
    • Steve is looking for help with coordinating the Shoreline event.
  12. ISOW: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • Dave is looking for a co-coordinator for the event. It was suggested that a Young Member Forum person might be a good place to look. Dave will look into this.
  13. Open Discussion: All
    • Art reported that the ASQ elections are this week.
  14. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting Review: All
    • See action items below

Action Items

  • Send website hosting bill to Julie [stan]
  • Create Student Banquet presentation [Mark]
  •  Need someone to set up banquet eventbrite [Luis/Sam]
  • ISOW co-chair is needed. Please ask college reps [All]
« Previous PageNext Page »