December 3rd, 2018 Meeting Minutes

February 18, 2019

  1. Call to Order
    1. Meeting led by Kathy
  2. Approval of Agendas
    1. Kathy Motions to approve
    2. Agenda approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    1. Meetings not available to approve yet
  4. Around the Room
    1. Beth Mendy – planning the engineering fair, here to give updates, represents EWB, chapter meeting on 3rd Tuesday
    2. Marina Dannecker – SWE holiday party and board meeting coming
    3. Charles – Next meeting will be the 3rd Monday in January
    4. Louie with national society of metals, joining meeting this month with AWS to talk about gold mining
    5. Cameron – Transitioning chair of AMSE, having a brewery tour (pike place brewing) instead of traditional dinner meeting in about 2 weeks. Following meeting in January at UW Bothell
    6. Dave Butcher – IEEE had their holiday party, board meeting on Tuesday
    7. Kathy Shoemaker with ASHRAE meeting next Tuesday
    8. Stan – IEEE
    9. Sam Gheesling ASME
  5. Treasurer Report
    1. The dues notice went out, only to those who have paid dues in the past
    2. Planning to send an email out to non active members to request that they “re-engage” rather than pay dues
    3. 4 checks have come in, deposited on Sunday
    4. Dues are based on number of members
  6. Engineering Fair Report
    1. Second Saturday of February, same day as the popsicle bridge competition, at the museum of flight
    2. Registration is open
    3. 2-3 organizations are registered
    4. Not the greatest turnout in the last two years
      1. Contacting school districts to increase turnout
    5. Flyer was sent to the key contacts for each organization
    6. Registration will be also sent out to PSEC reps
    7. Don’t take tallies at the door but do headcounts at each time
    8. Run into difficulties in the past because the fair is free but the museum is not
    9. Need to do something beyond relying on the popsicle event to bring in attendees
    10. All sponsored by societies and not by companies
    11. Goal is to get the word out early so that we do not need to hustle at the last minute
    12. Eventbrite is set up
  7. Calendar
    1. No changes to the calendar
    2. Engineering fair Feb. 9
    3. Banquet Feb. 16
  8. Website Updates
    1. No changes in the last month
    2. One issue with the events calendar, scrolling section wasn’t working because the software used to make calendars was not updated so new software had to be installed on the server, but that came through today 12/3/18. Now it works.
    3. If you see any issues let Stan know.
    4. There is an email list that new people should get onto. We also have a Facebook and twitter account for sharing announcements.
    5. Kathy – I was trying to send an email to Charles with his PSEC email alias and it bounced back
      1. Stan is pretty sure that this email works, so not sure what is causing the issue
    6. For those of you that aren’t aware there is a secretary, treasurer, president, webmaster etc. email accounts
  9. Banquet Update
    1. No difference in price this year for the menu that we used last year – so Sam would like to go ahead with the same menu as last year
      1. Same quantity of appetizers
      2. Everyone is on board.
  • Steak, salmon, vegetarian pasta
  1. Sam: Motion to stick with last year’s menu
    1. Marina Seconds the motion
    2. Motion passes unanimously
  2. February 16
  3. Speaker will be from UW Bothell STEM. 20-40 minutes of speech on the topic of getting students in STEM. Speaker is confirmed.
    1. Should this be 20-30 minutes?
      1. We have always asked for 20-40 minutes
    2. Louie will make Eventbrite – follow the same model as last year
      1. Need to write a CV
    3. Louie and Sam are still pursuing Boeing sponsorship
      1. The contact who did this before retired
      2. Then we lost our nonprofit status
  • We are now a 501c3 – full nonprofit!
  1. Sam has prepared a sponsorship proposal with photos
    1. Cameron: How have we marketed this to companies in the past?
      1. Someone has always had contact with Boeing and Boeing has always sponsored it
      2. Cameron would love to offer up a marketing package
        1. Could be put together by the end of the weekend
        2. Sam will email it to Cameron
      3. Getting the package to companies is another story
    2. Photographer – no updates here. Sam needs to respond to her.
      1. We need to have a clear understanding of how much this will cost
    3. Mentor Nights
      1. Louie has confirmed Seattle Central for January 31st (Thursday)
        1. Will make Eventbrite this week
      2. UW Bothell? Louie will talk to Elaine Scott about organizing this
        1. Cameron has another contact he can share
        2. Would be best to get in touch with the career center
  • It’s been a while (4 years maybe?) since we hosted this event
  1. We would like to have this event in February/march, but probably not until after the banquet
  2. Cameron will reach out to the career center
  1. We don’t have as many people involved in mentor nights as we used to
    1. We talked about this quite a bit last month
  2. Considering shoreline and EvCC for springtime
    1. Who were the focals for these schools?
      1. Steve?
    2. Also north Seattle community college
    3. Kathy to reach out to Jason and Steve to get their contacts at the schools
    4. Kathy has the banner
  3. Action Item Review
    1. Kathy is still working on the non traditional groups list
    2. Stan is still working on inventory list
    3. Kathy is needs to coordinate with Stan to send isow email
    4. Now that we have a mentor night schedules, Stan will create a mentor night report out for the website (how many attendees, school contact, who the mentors were, any notes
      1. Something that is suitable for social media shares is useful – photos maybe?
        1. If you take photos, make sure to put disclaimers that photos will be taken and let the school know that photos of students may be taken
      2. Charles still needs to follow up with Gail Cornelius
        1. Discovery Day?
      3. Charles still needs to send email about mentor night coordinator position
      4. Stan created a standing agenda template
    5. Walk on topics?
      1. Was the brochure on the website updated? No. Sam just opened it.
        1. Do we have copies that we can give out? Dave has lots that he can bring in
      2. Should we include computer science in PSEC?
        1. Yes, this is related to Kathy’s action
        2. We looked at our bylaws last year and there is no change required to add CS societies
  • It would be nice to get more members for mentor nights, and then that would hopefully lead to more attendance overall
  1. Louie would like to see the organization grow to 400+ in 5 years
  2. Maybe we should have a membership focal to handle reaching out to societies
    1. Past President?
  3. Cameron – I am hearing a general theme of lack of engagement
    1. We could pitch to companies to get them to encourage their members to get involved
  4. Many groups pay dues but do not have reps to send to meetings
  1. Adjourn
    1. 7:16 adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

November 5th, 2018 Meeting Minutes

November 5, 2018 PSEC Meeting

  1. Call to Order
    Meeting called to order at 6:08pm
  2. Approval of Agenda
    Motion to approve agenda, seconded, approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    Marina just got access to the wordpress account and will post meeting minutes from this meeting and last.
  4. Around the Room
    Went around the room, received updates from different organizations in attendance. Many of which are viewable on the calendar.
  5. Treasurer Report
    New update since last report: banquet deposit made. Going to send the dues reminder email to current and past society members – some inactive groups may have interest again so hope to reach them this way. Send the dues request to treasurer, president, and dues rep. If unclear who to get a hold of will email anyone they know in the section
  6. Calendar
    -Added the PSEC Awards deadline to the calendar. Engineering fair and banquet are also on the calendar. These are the only dates set so far for PSEC.
    -Banquet is set as 6-10pm.
    -1st Thursday in December is AIAA fly off (free 1st Thursday evening). This is a competition for middle/high schoolers where they build an electric plane.
    -Reminder that you can sync your google calendar with the PSEC website to have your events auto-included in the PSEC Calendar
  7. Website Updates
    Not a lot of updates since last month other than adding the nominations form for awards. Deadline is the 14th. Added Marina’s email as secretary for the secretary alias so that emails will be sent to her for secretary.
  8. Banquet Update
    1. Still hunting for a speaker
      1. Elaine has a conflict and will not be able to speak
      2. We would like to have someone from the UW Bothell to talk about their experiences in stem… students attracting students to get in to STEM fields
  • Alternate topic is that we are close to the 50th anniversary of the 747’s flight
    1. Official Boeing historian to talk about the history of the 747
  1. Last year’s photographer sent an email about this year’s event
    1. Last year she upped her rate at the last minute (after the event)
    2. Could get her to commit to a price upfront this year
  • Or we could go to an alternative photographer
  1. Path forward is to ask her what her price is, if it works with our budget we will go with her and if it does not then we will find someone else
  1. Brochure describing different sponsorship logos
    1. Suggestion to add info on what the banquet, why is it happening, who comes
      1. Who’s going to be there, who will see your logo, etc
    2. Add PSEC logo on the top
  • Add pictures from last year too, maybe pictures of winners
  1. Clarify that companies are comfortable with having their logo shared (and confirm its not outdated)
  2. Add contact information
  1. When will we set up registration? Probably during November break
  1. Mentor Nights
    1. No updates on mentor nights – nothing added to the calendar
    2. Louie has an action item to look at Seattle Central and UW Bothell night
    3. Lacking a mentor night coordinator, it is not likely we will have any mentor nights
      1. Don’t we have some people signed up for this?
      2. Action item to look for a mentor night coordinator – go to their societies and ask for the volunteers
        1. President to put together an email call for mentor night coordinator & chair
  • We should identify who was coordinating individual locations in past years
  1. Coordinator and chair are two separate activities that require different people
    1. Jason may have descriptions from the past he can share
  2. Side topic – we don’t send out notices that meetings are occurring which likely contributes to low attendance. We haven’t sent out a notice in advance that these meetings are occurring and we want more people to be here.
    1. We used to send one on the Monday before to remind people and then reminders later in the week
    2. The president has to come out with an agenda with enough notice, or we can call it a draft agenda
  • Agenda stays pretty much the same, but some topics drop off the agenda after they occur
  1. Action Item Review
    1. Kathi was going to suggest non-traditional groups as candidates PSEC memberships
    2. Stan is still working on inventory list
      1. Kathi likely has the banner
      2. If you have stuff or know someone who has stuff email Stan!
    3. Stan is still working on template for mentor night report for website
    4. Share your google calendar with Stan!
    5. Dave added K-12 Outreach Career Day Speaker Coordinator Duties to drop box
      1. This was Steve’s role
      2. Highest priority for recruiting is mentor coordinators/chair but we should also keep this in mind for recruiting future responsibilities.
    6. Report on Speaker search is done
    7. Report on banquet sponsorship is done
    8. Still need to figure out what gail Cornelius wants for UW engineers week event
    9. Still need to check on possibility of seattle central and uq bothell mentor night
  2. Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

October 1st Meeting Minutes

PSEC Meeting 10/01/2018

Agenda approved, minutes approved

Around the room

  • Some organizations are required to go through their HQ before communicating with their members to laws from Europe)
  • Multiple clubs now have their events on the PSEC Calendar

Treasurer Report

  • Request to update roster
  • Request for dues will be coming soon
  • Nonprofit status is reinstated – this means PSEC is eligible for Boeing (and other corporate) funding
  • Need to refile every year to avoid losing it again

Calendar Updates

  • Engineering fair is confirmed for Museum of Flight for Feb 9
  • Banquet is no longer tentative (will again be held at the Museum of Flight)
  • Currently no mentor nights scheduled

Website Updates

  • Open action to create an inventory for physical things PSEC owns (banners, etc). Considering wordpress for this use
    • Expect an email asking “who has what?”
    • If you have an item that belongs to PSEC, let Stan know
    • What about previous discussion on need for a storage unit?
  • Mentor night reporting – this action hasn’t been worked yet because no mentor nights are scheduled. Idea is to have a standard template that people can complete after mentor nights to capture details/feedback.

Banquet Update

  • Museum of Flight, Skyline room, 6-10pm
  • 5pm we are allowed in for set up
  • 6-7 social
  • 7 dinner
  • Speaker – asked the UW Bothell Dean of the College of STEM to be speaker, Dr. Elaine Scott
    • One Academic award 3 years ago
    • Topic has not been decided, but have proposed something about trends in education
    • Not confirmed but “she will probably say yes”
    • Sam is open to having other speakers if people have suggestions
    • Agreement to give her a deadline of the end of the month to confirm, otherwise 11/01 we will need to reach out to secure other speakers
  • This will be the 61st annual banquet. Unfortunately we do not have any archives going back to ’58.
  • Food is not arranged
  • Working to secure a $2,000 donation from Boeing for this event
  • Sam has created a spreadsheet to break down the past award winners and their employers.
    • 39 of the past winners were Boeing employees, 27 were UW, all other companies are single digits
    • Fundraise? Before we solicit sponsorship, we need to figure out what we have to offer in exchange for sponsorship (ex, company name in the program)
    • There are lots of Aerospace companies in the area
    • Civil engineers are typically the ones who submit nominations
    • If anyone has examples of tiered sponsorship, please share with the group.
    • Boeing pays $2,000 to get 4 dinners, their name on the event and screen
    • Proposed that (silver) $500 – 1 dinner, (gold) $1000 – 2 dinner, (platinum) $2000 – 4 dinners
    • Will also put logos on program and screen, but only “platinum” ($2,000+) will be on the screen. Logos will vary in size based on sponsorship level.
    • All of this sponsorship is to sponsor the Awards Banquet, not PSEC in general
  • We will definitely want to have the Speaker finalized before creating the program
  • We do not need to have the speaker lined up before we look for sponsorship
  • We need to list that we are a not for profit on the brochure
  • Remember to include “what is the banquet” “what is it for” “what are we asking for” “what do they get for sponsorship”
  • There will be a draft document that can be voted on/edited at next months meeting
    • It should be circulated electronically prior to the next meeting so that everyone can provide feedback.
  • November is our target month to approach people for sponsorship
  • Awards will appear on the PSEC website in the middle of October and an email will be sent out to PSEC reps
    • Stan will add the deadline to the calendar
  • We could also have a table in the banquet room for companies to leave a brochure on their firm

 

Mentor Nights

  • Email from Jason Salazar and a gentleman from Seattle U – they are willing to put on a mentor night. They need someone to chair this event
  • UW is doing an engineers week event and they would like some help for that – Gail Cornealius is coordinating student chapters on campus
    • All of our member societies have student chapters at UW
    • It is unclear what the ask from PSEC is
      • Is she looking for us to send this info out to members or to attend the event and participate as PSEC?
      • Unclear if this event is in April or February
    • Seattle Pacific is coordinating an event without PSEC – no mentor night stuff
    • Need to follow up with Seattle Central for mentor night 3rd week in January
    • We typically don’t have any in the Fall?
      • Usually Seattle Pacific, Seattle U, UW Bothell maybe would be interested?
      • Need to follow up with UW Bothell to see if they are interested
    • Need to find out what the proposed date it is for Seattle U
    • Need to recruit more people to be coordinators

Action Item Review

  • Dave talked to Kathi about non-traditional potential PSEC members

Adjourn

« Previous PageNext Page »

January 7, 2019 Meeting Minutes

January 29, 2019

The January 2019 meeting was held on Monday, January 7th at Razzi’s in Greenwood at 6 pm.

Attendance

  • Paul Grant
  • Sam Gheesling
  • George Bondor
  • John Schaufelberger
  • Luis Leon
  • Kathi Shoemake
  • Stan Dyck
  • Charles Beard

Agenda

  1. Call to Order
    • Called to order by Charles
  2. Approval of Agenda
    • Agenda was approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    • No minutes were posted from the December meeting. Kathi agreed to submit her notes.
  4. Around the Room
    • Attendance is noted above.
  5. Treasurer Report
    • Dave was not in attendance but submitted a report via email.
  6. Calendar
    • The Seattle Central mentor night was added on January 31st.
  7. Website Updates
    • An announcement for the Fair went out in December
    • Stan will work with John to get the Banquet award recipients placed on the web site.
  8. Engineering Fair Report
    • No report. Beth was not in attendance.
  9. Banquet Update
    • The speaker is locked in
    • The photographer was paid.
    • No Boeing sponsorship has been secured as of yet.
    • The flyers went out but have an incorrect time. Sam will correct.
    • The awards will be sent out within a week. There are 7 awards this year. John will collect photos and will post the bios on the web site.
    • Sam will ask Dave if he will do the program again this year.
    • Stan will do the badges.
    • Since there are 7 recipients this year there will be time constraints for the banquet schedule.
    • Luis agreed to bring the PSEC banner.
  10. Mentor Nights
    • The Seattle Central event is set for January 31st.
    • Luis is looking to line up a UW Bothell event. Angling for the 3rd week of February to mid-March before the Spring break.
    • North Seattle also expressed interest in doing an event in the Spring. Target would also be in March.
    • Luis is also looking into events at Highline and Everett. The later is normally sponsored by SWE.
  11. Action Item Review
    • Action items will be emailed out separately.
  12. Adjourn
    • Meeting adjourned at 8:30
« Previous PageNext Page »

September 10th, 2018 PSEC Board Meeting Minutes

September 26, 2018

Present: John Schaufelberger, Charles Beard, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, Kathi Shoemake, Sam Gheesling, Paul Grant

Pre-meeting discussion:

Sam received estimates only from Ray’s Boathouse. Their winter arrangement may only accommodate 70 people. Compared to Museum of Flight, Ray’s comes to $84 per plate (no flower arrangement included). Currently we are at $75.63 per plate at MoF (without flowers). $86.44 per person w/ flowers @ 150 people.
If we get more sponsors, we can reduce the price.

  1. Call to Order 6:15PM
  2. Approval of Agenda – approved
  3. Approval of Minutes – approved
  4. Around the Room –
    1. Stan – PSEC website, IEEE
    2. Kathi – ASHRAE – meeting 9/11, at Motif
    3. Dave – IEEE – Microsoft Building 99 6-9PM , radio exposure
    4. Sam – ASME – October 23, Razzi’s meeting speaker arrangement coming along
    5. John – Waterfront plan, next Tuesday
    6. Paul – Wednesday this week on hwy 99 tunnel
    7. Charles – AIAA – society restructuring. No meetings. 9/11 MoF celebration this month, 747 anniversary.
  5. Treasurer Report
    1. STEM Education Support amount left in the budget.
    2. Income remained the same as we were not very far off last year
    3. Discussion of other organizations to invite
    4. 2018-19 budget approved
  6. Calendar
    1. Verify date of Engineering Fair & lead contact- February 9th, 2019. – anniversary of 747
  7. Website Updates
    1. See link for Stan’s website blog
    2. Website has more capability availability that is not being used
    3. Board members may make changes and improvements to this website
    4. Sharing files through Dropbox.
    5. There are a series of email forwards used for executive positions – these have been forwarded to the appropriate coordinator
    6. How useful are weekly action items updates? – these will be continued
  8. Mentor Nights – no coordinator
    1. Seattle Pacific University was the October Mentor night last year – they have made the decision to go it alone.
  9. Banquet Proposal
    1. The board reviewed the comparisons
    2. Decision was made that Museum of Flight will remain the location of Engineer’s Award banquet
    3. October meeting will bring potential sponsors. Will need to identify a couple sponsor tiers and benefits.
  10. Action Item Review
    1. K-12 Outreach Coordinator – we’re going to come up with a job description next meeting
    2. Outreach to non-traditional member groups
    3. Send Stan a list and pictures of PSEC items at your homes
    4. ISOW survey to past attendees & PSEC reps
  11. Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  12. Adjourn 7:49PM
« Previous PageNext Page »

June 4, 2018 Meeting Minutes

September 6, 2018

PSEC Board Meeting Minutes

June 4, 2018

Present: Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, John Schaufelberger, Charles Beard, George Bondor, Jason Salazar, Kathi Shoemake, Tan, Sam Gheesling

  • Call to Order 6:04 PM
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Motioned and Approved
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Motioned and Approved
  • Around the Room
  • Stan – IEEE – events calendar synced
    • Excom meeting June 12th
  • Kathi – ASHRAE – YEA June Reception at Redhook Brewlab June 20th
  • Dave – IEEE ExCom meeting @ Microsoft
  • Tan – ASME – reorganization
  • George – SAE – general invitation for Volunteer Event
  • ASCE – local section outstanding civil engineering
  • Hardi – SAMPE – meeting June 19th –tour of LMI in Everett
    • July Crab Feed date TBD
  • John – WSPE – next meeting in September
  • Charles – AIAA next meeting is Awards Banquet at end of month
  • Treasurer Report
  • Last report of the year
    • Budget numbers lower than expected
    • $1000 for STEM education budgeted and not distributed
    • Societies that did not pay dues: AiChE, APWA, SPE, ASQ, AWS, SPE, WSPE-MR
  • Calendar
  • Tonight’s meeting is the last item on the calendar
  • No more PSEC events until fall
  • Website Updates
  • More mentor night summaries next year
  • Mentor Nights
  • Highline – not a lot of mentors nor students
    • Attendance was not an assignment through the engineering course
  • Election of 2018-19 Officers
  • Officer Slate Approved – Picture taking and installation of officers will take place in September
  • New officers:
    • President: Charles Beard
    • President-Elect: Kathi Shoemake
    • Secretary: Marina Dannecker
    • Treasurer: Dave Butcher
  • Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  • Next September
  • Chris received a gift box as appreciation of his service
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn

 

« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, May 7, 2018

June 4, 2018

Attendance

Sam, Stan, Chris, John, Charles Beard, Tan, George, Jason, Kathi

Agenda

  • Call to Order
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Around the Room
    • Sam – ASME
    • Chris – AIAA
    • John – WSPE
    • Charles – AIAA
    • Tan – ASME
    • Jason –
    • Kathi – ASHRAE has Golf Tournament coming up in June and last Chapter meeting next week
  • Treasurer Report
    • Dave is on the east coast working
    • No transactions last month
    • Official IRS approval of non profit
  • Calendar
    • Highline college mentor night May 22nd
    • June council meeting
    • College Mentor night arrangements: SPU, SU and UW Bothell
  • Website Updates
    • Still Awaiting Engineer’s fair report
    • If you have calendars to sync, get Stan in contact with your website coordinator
    • ISOW Report
  •  Mentor Nights
    • Registration is up for Highline
  • ISOW
    • Recommendation of a survey for finding the better date for ISOW next year
    • Purpose of event: assist elected officers with their activities
    • Action Item: send out survey
  • Next Year’s Officers
    • Charles is President next year
    • Dave will be Treasurer
    • Pool the societies for more reps and volunteers
  • Action Item Review
    • K-12 Outreach Coordinator : work with different school districts and try to encourage more involvement in K-12 activities (science fairs, guest speakers)
    • Look to societies that already have a position which may be extended
    • Suggest non-traditional groups as PSEC members
    • Template for Mentor Night Report
    • Venues for Engineering Banquet
  • Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, April 2, 2018

May 9, 2018

Attendance

Sam Gheesling, Stan Dyck, George Bondor, Charles Beard, Kathi Shoemake, Hardik Dalal

Agenda

  • Call to Order : 6:15 PM
  • Approval of Agenda : Motioned & Approved
  • Approval of Minutes : Motioned & Approved
  • Around the Room :
    • Charles Beard AIAA:
    • Sam Gheesling, ASME: Meeting 4/10 , Presentation on Sound Transit
    • Stan Dyck, IEEE: Calendar on website now
    • Kathi
    • Marina Daniker, SWE: 4/14th Girls Scout Event, 4/15th SWE to the movies, Ready Play
    • George Bondor,SAE: Meeting 4/21 Formula SAE team presentation at WWU
    • Hardik Dalal, SAMPE: April 16th WAC Student Night – student present research posters, presentation is a panel discussion on engineering. May is national conference in Long Beach
  • Treasurer Report : Shared at meeting
  • Storage – Hold, still gathering data, Suggestion made to look to
  • Calendar : Mentoring Activities, Shoreline College Mentor Night, ISOW, Next meeting May7th
  • Website Updates: Discussion on what is shared on PSEC website and mentor night calendar
  • Mentor Nights: Next PSEC mentor night is Shoreline April 25th
  • Engineering Fair: Next year
  • Awards Banquet: Alternate Location Discussion
  • ISOW : Please send 2-3 reps for discussion
  • Non-Traditional Groups: Adding to PSEC membership – tabled for later
  • Action Item Review – looking for outreach coordinator
    • Action Items sent to reps list weekly – does this work? Let Stan know.
    • LinkedIn – Stan has Admin Rights
    • New item: Determine relative cost for Banquet
  • Adjourn : 7:07 PM, Next meeting May 7th
« Previous PageNext Page »

PSEC March 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

March 19, 2018

March 5, 2018

Present: Chris Roberdeau, Sam Gheesling, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, John Schaufelberger, Don Flemming, Jason Salazar, Grace LeFebure, Hardik Dalal, George Bondor, Tan

Our next meeting will be Monday March 5 at 6pm at Razzi’s in Greenwood. The agenda is below:

  • Call to Order Start 6PM
  • Approval of Agenda
    • approved
  • Approval of Minutes
    • Minutes for Feb meeting still pending – approve in April
  • Around the Room
    • Stan Dyck, PSEC online webmaster – There may be some issues with representatives list sign up – contact Stan if you experience issues
    • Jason Salazar, Handing off the Student Mentor Night Duties
    • Kathi Shoemake, ASHRAE, Student Activities Hockey Night March 17th, tour of Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium March 14th, and Chapter Meeting about Working with Millennials on March 21st.
    • Dave IEEE, officer training just wrapped up, Meeting next Tuesday
    • Don Flemming, ISE
    • George Bondor, SAE, working on website and mailing list Meeting Scheduled in April, WWU Formula SAE competition
    • Grace Lefebure, SWE, Amazon Fresh/Prime tour for March sold out, there will be a tour in April.
      Looking for volunteers for SWE outreach programs
    • Hardik, SAMPE, March event, April 16th @ UW WAC, student poster competition and presentation
    • John, WSPE-SE, Best western Tuesday, March 6th, Cycle races in Bergen Norway and issues
    • Charles Beard, AIAA
    • Paul Grant, ASCE, meeting Wed 14th, Sound Transit north Link Station
    • Chris Roberdeau, IEEE, March 28, technical dinner Guggenheim Auditorium
    • Sam Gheesling, ASME, no plans for March.  Would like to reach out to other organizations for coordinated meetings. Aiming for presentations in April/May
  • Treasurer Report
    • Expenses for Banquet and Engineering Fair are in.
    • Summary shared at meeting
    • Dues not yet received by SAMPE, ASQ and APWA
  • Storage of PSEC Items
    • Public Storage space, $80/month currently used by IEEE
    • Shop for storage, central location, one space for all items.
  • Calendar
    • Nothing left in March
    • April – only board meeting, April 2nd.
    • May – ISOW, May 5th.
  • Website Updates
    • Please share your calendars with PSEC
    • Banquet photos are now uploaded
    • Request for a Banquet write up – Sam
    • Engineering Fair – write up for website – Beth
    • Past president list – will post links to obituaries
    • Looking for 2016-17 officer’s picture – Did Luis take this?
    • LinkedIn – reinvigorate? Add pictures for banquet – Kailan is the page owner – contact him to share
    • Live tweeting and FBlive
  • Mentor Nights
    • UW Bothell – Andrew Gall, ASME, coordinating
    • UW Bothell is having an Engineering Fair soon (SWE is participating)
    • Highline – April Mentor night coordinated by Steve Snelling
    • North Seattle College Mentor Night March 1st, 17 Mentors mostly from last year’s Mentor Night. Bill of $353.41 for food submitted.
    • Bill payment approved
    • This year – fewer students (80 perhaps – number to be confirmed), engineering advisor retiring
    • Arranging a new mentor coordinator
    • Bellevue College – Chris will make contact
  • Engineering Fair
    • 2nd weekend of February next year
  • Awards Banquet
    • Done!
    • Next year: 3rd Saturday of February (16th)
    • Ray’s Boathouse was suggested, this will be investigated
    • Open to comparisons – apples to apples (meat, fish and veggie meals) – until September
    • Sponsorship will also bring the ticket price down – please reach out for sponsorship
  • ISOW
    • This month, will update website with details
    • Seattle U Mech chair, Theodora, was a Mentor coordinator for PSEC lunches
    • Will continue talking with her
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn – 7:18 PM
« Previous PageNext Page »

PSEC Meeting Notes 12.04.2017

January 3, 2018

PSEC Meeting – Dec 4, 2017

Present: Sam Ghesling, Stan Dyck, Chris Roberdeau, Tran Dihn, Marina, George Bondor, Don Flemming, Andrew Galan, Charles Beard, Luis Leon

  • Call to Order : 6:00PM
  • Approval of Agenda : Motioned & Approved
  • Approval of Minutes : Not yet available, will approve both Nov. & Dec at next meeting
  • Around the Room :
    • Sam Ghesling: ASME, Dec 11 at Razzi’s – Scott Jarnigan – Complexity of the Product Development Cycle
    • Stan Dyck : IEEE
    • Tran Dihn : Is our invited guest
    • Marina : SWE – Annual Holiday Party on Dec. 9 at Living Computer Museum
    • George Bondor :SAE meeting at Mac & jack Brewery
    • Don Flemming : IISE Tour of Starbucks roasting Plan 12/7
    • Andre Galan:  SME, no meeting planned for Dec.
    • Charles Beard: AIAA – meeting on 12/7 with Lindberg Electric aircraft Fly-Off (electric plane competition) at Museum of Flight
    • Luis Leon : ASM Monthly meeting 12/12 at Azteca in Bellevue, Significant Others invited, topic: Basic Principles and Materials used in music
    • Chris Roberdeau : AIAA
  • SWE request: Chris will be meeting with SWE to discuss the value of PSEC membership
    •  Jan 7th SWE executive meeting
    • Discuss SWE letter to the council
    • Make PSEC metrics more visible
  • Treasurer Report : Account balance and Dues payment received shared with council
    • IRS has received the application for 501C3 status and is in review
    • Council discussed reaching out to other companies (besides Boeing) for sponsorship
  • Calendar :
    • Award Nominations due next Friday, 12/15,
    • Seattle Central College Mentor Night on Jan 25th – make announcement
    • The Banquet and Fair are scheduled for February
  • Engineering Fair : Booths are available for reservation
  • Mentor Nights
    • SU – coming up
    • UW Bothell – Cameron point of contact (ASME Vice Chair)
    • North Seattle, Shoreline and Everett Colleges in spring
    • Olympic College –reached out to arrange a mentor night in Spring 2018
    • Chris will reach out to Paul to check progress on UW Bothell
    • Will investigate WSU and Everett joint extension program
  • Engineering Fair
    • Posting is ready to go out
    • Reaching out for booth reservations – booths are now available
    • Bridge Building competition will be going on at the same day and time
  • Awards Banquet : Museum of Flight February 3rd, 2018, speaker : B-29 and B-17 , Dale Thompson, MOF Volunteer,
  • 60th Annual banquet
    • Looking for Historical items – to make 60 year historical summary
    • Solicit sponsors
    • 1958 Local engineering feats and accomplishments
    • To Add website announcement with speakers bio
  • Awards Committee: Submission date of 12/15. Select and submit your nominations now!!!
  • ISOW : May 5th, 10:30 AM please talk with your society about topics to discuss
  • Open Discussion
    • Topic: Should PSEC reach out to non-engineering societies for membership
    • Response was positive – Seems to be acceptable per bylaws
  • Action Item Review
    • Gather history of PSEC items
    • Reach out to past presidents
    • Reach out companies for sponsorship
  • Adjourn : 7:30PM
« Previous PageNext Page »