2019 PSEC Awards Nominations Open

October 19, 2018

It is time to recognize members of your organizations. Below are the Awards Nomination Forms and instructions for completion (Word Doc) for the seven awards to be presented at the February 16, 2019 PSEC Engineering Awards Banquet at the Museum of Flight.

Please identify deserving members of your organizations and submit nominations to the Awards Committee by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 14, 2018.  If you have any questions, please contact me at jesbcon@uw.edu.

Nomination Forms

Below are the nomination forms for each award a Guide for Preparation of Engineer-of-the-Year-Nominations is also shown below. Please provide the required information completely and concisely and follow the posted instructions (Word Doc). Limit nomination packages to 8 pages.

« Previous PageNext Page »

October 1st PSEC Board Meeting Agenda

September 27, 2018

Our October meeting will be on Monday October 1st at Razzi’s in Greenwood at 6pm. The agenda is:

  • Call to Order
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Around the Room
  • Treasurer Report
  • Calendar
  • Website Updates
  • Banquet Update
  • Mentor Nights
    • Subject: Fwd: (PSEC) 2017 Seattle University Mentor Night – Event Summary
      If PSEC is able to support including this event in their event planning this year, and are able to find a volunteer coordinator, I would be willing to assist.
      Jason Salazar
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn

Beth Mende confirmed that the Engineers is for February 9th at the Museum of Flight.

« Previous PageNext Page »

September 10th, 2018 PSEC Board Meeting Minutes

September 26, 2018

Present: John Schaufelberger, Charles Beard, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, Kathi Shoemake, Sam Gheesling, Paul Grant

Pre-meeting discussion:

Sam received estimates only from Ray’s Boathouse. Their winter arrangement may only accommodate 70 people. Compared to Museum of Flight, Ray’s comes to $84 per plate (no flower arrangement included). Currently we are at $75.63 per plate at MoF (without flowers). $86.44 per person w/ flowers @ 150 people.
If we get more sponsors, we can reduce the price.

  1. Call to Order 6:15PM
  2. Approval of Agenda – approved
  3. Approval of Minutes – approved
  4. Around the Room –
    1. Stan – PSEC website, IEEE
    2. Kathi – ASHRAE – meeting 9/11, at Motif
    3. Dave – IEEE – Microsoft Building 99 6-9PM , radio exposure
    4. Sam – ASME – October 23, Razzi’s meeting speaker arrangement coming along
    5. John – Waterfront plan, next Tuesday
    6. Paul – Wednesday this week on hwy 99 tunnel
    7. Charles – AIAA – society restructuring. No meetings. 9/11 MoF celebration this month, 747 anniversary.
  5. Treasurer Report
    1. STEM Education Support amount left in the budget.
    2. Income remained the same as we were not very far off last year
    3. Discussion of other organizations to invite
    4. 2018-19 budget approved
  6. Calendar
    1. Verify date of Engineering Fair & lead contact- February 9th, 2019. – anniversary of 747
  7. Website Updates
    1. See link for Stan’s website blog
    2. Website has more capability availability that is not being used
    3. Board members may make changes and improvements to this website
    4. Sharing files through Dropbox.
    5. There are a series of email forwards used for executive positions – these have been forwarded to the appropriate coordinator
    6. How useful are weekly action items updates? – these will be continued
  8. Mentor Nights – no coordinator
    1. Seattle Pacific University was the October Mentor night last year – they have made the decision to go it alone.
  9. Banquet Proposal
    1. The board reviewed the comparisons
    2. Decision was made that Museum of Flight will remain the location of Engineer’s Award banquet
    3. October meeting will bring potential sponsors. Will need to identify a couple sponsor tiers and benefits.
  10. Action Item Review
    1. K-12 Outreach Coordinator – we’re going to come up with a job description next meeting
    2. Outreach to non-traditional member groups
    3. Send Stan a list and pictures of PSEC items at your homes
    4. ISOW survey to past attendees & PSEC reps
  11. Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  12. Adjourn 7:49PM
« Previous PageNext Page »

Webmaster Report, September 2018

September 10, 2018

From time to time, I use this space to let everyone know what’s happening on the PSEC website. I haven’t done one of these in a long time but since we are starting a new program year tonight I figured I’d put down a few words.

I am Stan <webmaster@pseconline.org>. I have been operating this website for many years. It has largely been a solo effort but I would much prefer that others join me. Besides being more fun for me I think it improves the site if it reflects the input of the community of engineers. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you want to help out or have ideas to share.

The site is running the same as it has for several years now. We run the WordPress software here with only a very few customizations. WordPress has finally made upgrading the software very easy. I can now make updates in minutes without bringing down the site for any time.

If you are not familiar with the site, I’d encourage you to look around. There is a lot of unrealized potential for reaching out to our membership and the representatives. There is also much we could do in the way of advocacy and outreach to the broader community. It is also fairly easy to contribute to the site itself. You just need to have an account. You can put up announcements, post reports and photos from events you attended, or anything else you can think of. I know there are a lot of neglected corners on the website that could use some attention. Please consider adopting one of those sections and helping to make it better.

If you are involved in any way with any of the PSEC Events whether it is the banquet, the mentor nights or the ISOW, please consider how you might use the website to advertise and market them. You should contact me if you want to discuss ideas.

Calendars

The calendar events page is also worth a look. The PSEC maintains a calendar of our own events but we also publish the events calendars of our member societies. You can view events from any of the participating societies and they are updated live as their respective owners edit them. You can also subscribe to them such that they will appear on your own calendar in most cases.

If you don’t see the events calendar for your society, it is probably because they haven’t contacted me yet to get it added. If your society maintains a calendar I can probably add it to our list. All you need to do is put the person in charge of maintaining that calendar in touch with me. It generally takes only a few minutes to get up an running.

Collaboration

The primary means for PSEC Representatives to communicate is via the PSEC Reps mail list. If you are a PSEC Rep you should subscribe to that list via that link. I only request that you refrain from sending file attachments over the list. The mail list software blocks attachments that are larger than about a megabyte. File attachments are a primary source of bad things happening on the Internet. Various forms of malware get transmitted via attachments and make their way onto other computers that way. Plus, it is generally more considerate to your recipients to not make them open another program to read something that could have been typed into an email body anyway.

If you really need to send a photo or spreadsheet file or something there are good alternatives available that are far superior to attaching it to an email. For example, the PSEC maintains a DropBox folder. If you are not a party to that folder, let me know and I can add you. When you add or edit a file in the DropBox folder on your machine, it automatically gets updated everywhere else. This is super convenient and simplifies collaboration involving files. It also means you don’t have to download large files manually.

As a side note, if you have materials that you want to be shown on screen at a PSEC meeting, I maintain a specific folder inside that DropBox for them. Simply place them in the Meetings folder and I will get them.

The PSEC also has a limited social media presence. We maintain a Facebook Group and a Twitter Account. We also have a LinkedIn group but it is somewhat difficult to maintain so it does not get updated by me as often. I post general announcements and links to things on this website on those social media accounts so please join/like/follow/share/etc. if you participate. I try to follow back from those accounts where possible.

If you want to make an announcement, whether it be to the engineering community or the broader public, the best way to go about it is to get it posted here on the website or if it has a date/time associated with it, on your events calendar. Work with me to get it up here. If the President approves, we post it and then we can then boost it by linking to it from within our social media accounts. In all cases, you should include the URL to your announcement post in all your later communications. If the details change, we can edit it without changing the URL. We can schedule multiple pushes to social media also.

Well, that’s probably enough. If you need to get in touch with me I’m at webmaster@pseconline.org. Please think about how this website can better work for your goals and contact me or if you have an account here leave a comment in the comments section below

Thanks,
Stan

« Previous PageNext Page »

September 10, 2018 Meeting Agenda

Meeting Announcement

Date: Monday, September 10, 2018
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103 (map)
Free parking is available behind the restaurant and on neighborhood side streets.

Meeting Agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Approval of Agenda
  3. Approval of Minutes
  4. Around the Room
  5. Treasurer Report
  6. Calendar
  7. Website Updates
  8. Mentor Nights
  9. Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  10. Banquet Proposal
  11. Action Item Review
  12. Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

June 4, 2018 Meeting Minutes

September 6, 2018

PSEC Board Meeting Minutes

June 4, 2018

Present: Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, John Schaufelberger, Charles Beard, George Bondor, Jason Salazar, Kathi Shoemake, Tan, Sam Gheesling

  • Call to Order 6:04 PM
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Motioned and Approved
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Motioned and Approved
  • Around the Room
  • Stan – IEEE – events calendar synced
    • Excom meeting June 12th
  • Kathi – ASHRAE – YEA June Reception at Redhook Brewlab June 20th
  • Dave – IEEE ExCom meeting @ Microsoft
  • Tan – ASME – reorganization
  • George – SAE – general invitation for Volunteer Event
  • ASCE – local section outstanding civil engineering
  • Hardi – SAMPE – meeting June 19th –tour of LMI in Everett
    • July Crab Feed date TBD
  • John – WSPE – next meeting in September
  • Charles – AIAA next meeting is Awards Banquet at end of month
  • Treasurer Report
  • Last report of the year
    • Budget numbers lower than expected
    • $1000 for STEM education budgeted and not distributed
    • Societies that did not pay dues: AiChE, APWA, SPE, ASQ, AWS, SPE, WSPE-MR
  • Calendar
  • Tonight’s meeting is the last item on the calendar
  • No more PSEC events until fall
  • Website Updates
  • More mentor night summaries next year
  • Mentor Nights
  • Highline – not a lot of mentors nor students
    • Attendance was not an assignment through the engineering course
  • Election of 2018-19 Officers
  • Officer Slate Approved – Picture taking and installation of officers will take place in September
  • New officers:
    • President: Charles Beard
    • President-Elect: Kathi Shoemake
    • Secretary: Marina Dannecker
    • Treasurer: Dave Butcher
  • Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  • Next September
  • Chris received a gift box as appreciation of his service
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn

 

« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, May 7, 2018

June 4, 2018

Attendance

Sam, Stan, Chris, John, Charles Beard, Tan, George, Jason, Kathi

Agenda

  • Call to Order
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Around the Room
    • Sam – ASME
    • Chris – AIAA
    • John – WSPE
    • Charles – AIAA
    • Tan – ASME
    • Jason –
    • Kathi – ASHRAE has Golf Tournament coming up in June and last Chapter meeting next week
  • Treasurer Report
    • Dave is on the east coast working
    • No transactions last month
    • Official IRS approval of non profit
  • Calendar
    • Highline college mentor night May 22nd
    • June council meeting
    • College Mentor night arrangements: SPU, SU and UW Bothell
  • Website Updates
    • Still Awaiting Engineer’s fair report
    • If you have calendars to sync, get Stan in contact with your website coordinator
    • ISOW Report
  •  Mentor Nights
    • Registration is up for Highline
  • ISOW
    • Recommendation of a survey for finding the better date for ISOW next year
    • Purpose of event: assist elected officers with their activities
    • Action Item: send out survey
  • Next Year’s Officers
    • Charles is President next year
    • Dave will be Treasurer
    • Pool the societies for more reps and volunteers
  • Action Item Review
    • K-12 Outreach Coordinator : work with different school districts and try to encourage more involvement in K-12 activities (science fairs, guest speakers)
    • Look to societies that already have a position which may be extended
    • Suggest non-traditional groups as PSEC members
    • Template for Mentor Night Report
    • Venues for Engineering Banquet
  • Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

June Meeting Agenda

June 3, 2018

Our June meeting will be on Monday June 4 at Razzi’s in Greenwood at 6pm. The agenda is:

 

  • Call to Order
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Around the Room
  • Treasurer Report
  • Calendar
  • Website Updates
  • Mentor Nights
  • Election of 2018-19 Officers
  • Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

Meeting Minutes, April 2, 2018

May 9, 2018

Attendance

Sam Gheesling, Stan Dyck, George Bondor, Charles Beard, Kathi Shoemake, Hardik Dalal

Agenda

  • Call to Order : 6:15 PM
  • Approval of Agenda : Motioned & Approved
  • Approval of Minutes : Motioned & Approved
  • Around the Room :
    • Charles Beard AIAA:
    • Sam Gheesling, ASME: Meeting 4/10 , Presentation on Sound Transit
    • Stan Dyck, IEEE: Calendar on website now
    • Kathi
    • Marina Daniker, SWE: 4/14th Girls Scout Event, 4/15th SWE to the movies, Ready Play
    • George Bondor,SAE: Meeting 4/21 Formula SAE team presentation at WWU
    • Hardik Dalal, SAMPE: April 16th WAC Student Night – student present research posters, presentation is a panel discussion on engineering. May is national conference in Long Beach
  • Treasurer Report : Shared at meeting
  • Storage – Hold, still gathering data, Suggestion made to look to
  • Calendar : Mentoring Activities, Shoreline College Mentor Night, ISOW, Next meeting May7th
  • Website Updates: Discussion on what is shared on PSEC website and mentor night calendar
  • Mentor Nights: Next PSEC mentor night is Shoreline April 25th
  • Engineering Fair: Next year
  • Awards Banquet: Alternate Location Discussion
  • ISOW : Please send 2-3 reps for discussion
  • Non-Traditional Groups: Adding to PSEC membership – tabled for later
  • Action Item Review – looking for outreach coordinator
    • Action Items sent to reps list weekly – does this work? Let Stan know.
    • LinkedIn – Stan has Admin Rights
    • New item: Determine relative cost for Banquet
  • Adjourn : 7:07 PM, Next meeting May 7th
« Previous PageNext Page »

Highline Mentor Night Event, May 22nd

Our friends at Highline College are hosting our latest (and last of the program year) Mentor Night. If you are an engineering student there it is a good way to meet and network with local engineers. If you are a local engineer the PSEC is always looking for volunteer mentors to spend an evening with the next generation, describing what you do and giving advice.

The Highline event will be May 22nd from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.

If you’d like to attend as a mentor, please register on our Eventbrite site and come ready to talk a bit about what you do and answer questions from eager students.

The event will be at the Student Union Building (Building #8). The address is

2400 S. 240th St
Des Moines, WA

Please consult the campus map for directions.

« Previous PageNext Page »