May 6, 2019 Meeting Agenda

May 6, 2019

Our May meeting will be on Monday, May 6th at Razzi’s in Greenwood at 6pm.

Agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Approval of Agenda
  3. Approval of Minutes
  4. Around the Room
  5. Treasurer Report
  6. Calendar
  7. Website Updates
    1. Webmaster Replacement
  8. Engineering Fair Report
  9. Banquet Update
  10. Mentor Nights
  11. Officers Workshop
  12. New Officers Slate
  13. Action Item Review
  14. Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

Inter Society Officers Workshop 2019

April 26, 2019

The PSEC Inter-society officer’s workshop (ISOW) brings together volunteer leaders from all PSEC member societies. The objective of the workshop is to share best practices for running our volunteer lead professional societies. Each year three topics are chosen for discussion during the workshop. The topics change each year to encourage continued participation and the timeliness of the topic. Roundtable sessions of 30-40 minutes allow participants to discuss and share experiences focused on a topic.

Saturday – June 8th, 2019 10:30am – 2:00pm
University of Washington Facility
7543 63rd Ave NE, Building #5, Bay B (map)
Seattle, WA 98115-8116

Refreshments will be provided

All Officers (current & incoming) from all PSEC engineering Societies are invited to come and exchange ideas with Officers from each of the other local engineering Societies. This is a free, annual event for all PSEC member Societies.

All PSEC reps. should attend & try to also bring 2-3 other Officers from your local engineering Society.

Three 30-40 minute discussion sessions will follow a brief overview of PSEC & the planned program year. There will be a short break for snacks & beverages (being provided), between sessions.

Mentoring – Organizational involvement must start early. How can we inspire the future engineers? What opportunities are there for our members to be Mentors?

Connecting with Members – Many organizations are struggling with engaging members. Engaged members can become future volunteers. How can we keep members coming together and attending meetings? Can we bring members back?

The Future of Volunteer Leaders – Finding ways to engage younger members to volunteer to lead projects, events and become board members. How can we, as societies support and mentor the younger members of our societies?

Typed summaries of the discussions will be prepared later and sent out.

Please RSVP if you can attend (or contact with any questions)
Kathi Shoemake  (425)744-6033
PSEC’s web site

« Previous PageNext Page »

2019 Seattle University, PSEC Engineering Mentor Night

April 4, 2019


SU Campion Ballroom

When: Tuesday, May 14th, 2019, 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Where: Campion Ballroom, Seattle University

Seattle University (SU) is hosting an engineering mentor night for their students on Tuesday, May 14th from 6 to 8 pm and they are particularly seeking mentors in Mechanical, Electrical, Computer and Civil Engineering. The event will be hosted in the SU Campion Ballroom.

The event will see the students rotate among tables with the mentors for discussions. To facilitate the discussions, mentors are asked to bring a sample of work (reports, photos, drawings, etc.) to help the students better understand what they might do in different disciplines of engineering.

Mentors will be sent final details, directions, campus map and parking passes a week prior to the event. Thank you for volunteering and giving your time and talent to encourage our next generation of engineers! For questions please contact Andrew Gall, the PSEC SU Mentor Night Volunteer Coordinator at: Andrew.Gall@PACCAR.com.


« Previous PageNext Page »

April 1, 2019 Meeting Agenda

March 26, 2019

Our April meeting will be on Monday, April 1st at Razzi’s in Greenwood at 6pm.

Agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Approval of Agenda
  3. Approval of Minutes
  4. Around the Room
  5. Treasurer Report
  6. Calendar
  7. Website Updates
    1. Dropbox discussion
    2. Webmaster options
  8. Engineering Fair Report
  9. Mentor Nights
  10. Inter Society Officers Workshop
  11. Action Item Review
  12. Adjourn

« Previous PageNext Page »

March 4th, 2019 Meeting Agenda

February 26, 2019

Our March meeting will be on Monday, March 4th at Razzi’s in Greenwood at 6 pm.

Agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Approval of Agenda
  3. Approval of Minutes
  4. Around the Room
  5. Treasurer Report
  6. Calendar
  7. Website Updates
  8. Engineering Fair Report
  9. Banquet Report
  10. Mentor Nights
    1. Upcoming Events
    2. Mentor Night Coordinator (per Action Item)
  11. Membership Discussion (per Action Item)
  12. Regional Science Fair call for judges
  13. Action Item Review
  14. Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

December 3rd, 2018 Meeting Minutes

February 18, 2019

  1. Call to Order
    1. Meeting led by Kathy
  2. Approval of Agendas
    1. Kathy Motions to approve
    2. Agenda approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    1. Meetings not available to approve yet
  4. Around the Room
    1. Beth Mendy – planning the engineering fair, here to give updates, represents EWB, chapter meeting on 3rd Tuesday
    2. Marina Dannecker – SWE holiday party and board meeting coming
    3. Charles – Next meeting will be the 3rd Monday in January
    4. Louie with national society of metals, joining meeting this month with AWS to talk about gold mining
    5. Cameron – Transitioning chair of AMSE, having a brewery tour (pike place brewing) instead of traditional dinner meeting in about 2 weeks. Following meeting in January at UW Bothell
    6. Dave Butcher – IEEE had their holiday party, board meeting on Tuesday
    7. Kathy Shoemaker with ASHRAE meeting next Tuesday
    8. Stan – IEEE
    9. Sam Gheesling ASME
  5. Treasurer Report
    1. The dues notice went out, only to those who have paid dues in the past
    2. Planning to send an email out to non active members to request that they “re-engage” rather than pay dues
    3. 4 checks have come in, deposited on Sunday
    4. Dues are based on number of members
  6. Engineering Fair Report
    1. Second Saturday of February, same day as the popsicle bridge competition, at the museum of flight
    2. Registration is open
    3. 2-3 organizations are registered
    4. Not the greatest turnout in the last two years
      1. Contacting school districts to increase turnout
    5. Flyer was sent to the key contacts for each organization
    6. Registration will be also sent out to PSEC reps
    7. Don’t take tallies at the door but do headcounts at each time
    8. Run into difficulties in the past because the fair is free but the museum is not
    9. Need to do something beyond relying on the popsicle event to bring in attendees
    10. All sponsored by societies and not by companies
    11. Goal is to get the word out early so that we do not need to hustle at the last minute
    12. Eventbrite is set up
  7. Calendar
    1. No changes to the calendar
    2. Engineering fair Feb. 9
    3. Banquet Feb. 16
  8. Website Updates
    1. No changes in the last month
    2. One issue with the events calendar, scrolling section wasn’t working because the software used to make calendars was not updated so new software had to be installed on the server, but that came through today 12/3/18. Now it works.
    3. If you see any issues let Stan know.
    4. There is an email list that new people should get onto. We also have a Facebook and twitter account for sharing announcements.
    5. Kathy – I was trying to send an email to Charles with his PSEC email alias and it bounced back
      1. Stan is pretty sure that this email works, so not sure what is causing the issue
    6. For those of you that aren’t aware there is a secretary, treasurer, president, webmaster etc. email accounts
  9. Banquet Update
    1. No difference in price this year for the menu that we used last year – so Sam would like to go ahead with the same menu as last year
      1. Same quantity of appetizers
      2. Everyone is on board.
  • Steak, salmon, vegetarian pasta
  1. Sam: Motion to stick with last year’s menu
    1. Marina Seconds the motion
    2. Motion passes unanimously
  2. February 16
  3. Speaker will be from UW Bothell STEM. 20-40 minutes of speech on the topic of getting students in STEM. Speaker is confirmed.
    1. Should this be 20-30 minutes?
      1. We have always asked for 20-40 minutes
    2. Louie will make Eventbrite – follow the same model as last year
      1. Need to write a CV
    3. Louie and Sam are still pursuing Boeing sponsorship
      1. The contact who did this before retired
      2. Then we lost our nonprofit status
  • We are now a 501c3 – full nonprofit!
  1. Sam has prepared a sponsorship proposal with photos
    1. Cameron: How have we marketed this to companies in the past?
      1. Someone has always had contact with Boeing and Boeing has always sponsored it
      2. Cameron would love to offer up a marketing package
        1. Could be put together by the end of the weekend
        2. Sam will email it to Cameron
      3. Getting the package to companies is another story
    2. Photographer – no updates here. Sam needs to respond to her.
      1. We need to have a clear understanding of how much this will cost
    3. Mentor Nights
      1. Louie has confirmed Seattle Central for January 31st (Thursday)
        1. Will make Eventbrite this week
      2. UW Bothell? Louie will talk to Elaine Scott about organizing this
        1. Cameron has another contact he can share
        2. Would be best to get in touch with the career center
  • It’s been a while (4 years maybe?) since we hosted this event
  1. We would like to have this event in February/march, but probably not until after the banquet
  2. Cameron will reach out to the career center
  1. We don’t have as many people involved in mentor nights as we used to
    1. We talked about this quite a bit last month
  2. Considering shoreline and EvCC for springtime
    1. Who were the focals for these schools?
      1. Steve?
    2. Also north Seattle community college
    3. Kathy to reach out to Jason and Steve to get their contacts at the schools
    4. Kathy has the banner
  3. Action Item Review
    1. Kathy is still working on the non traditional groups list
    2. Stan is still working on inventory list
    3. Kathy is needs to coordinate with Stan to send isow email
    4. Now that we have a mentor night schedules, Stan will create a mentor night report out for the website (how many attendees, school contact, who the mentors were, any notes
      1. Something that is suitable for social media shares is useful – photos maybe?
        1. If you take photos, make sure to put disclaimers that photos will be taken and let the school know that photos of students may be taken
      2. Charles still needs to follow up with Gail Cornelius
        1. Discovery Day?
      3. Charles still needs to send email about mentor night coordinator position
      4. Stan created a standing agenda template
    5. Walk on topics?
      1. Was the brochure on the website updated? No. Sam just opened it.
        1. Do we have copies that we can give out? Dave has lots that he can bring in
      2. Should we include computer science in PSEC?
        1. Yes, this is related to Kathy’s action
        2. We looked at our bylaws last year and there is no change required to add CS societies
  • It would be nice to get more members for mentor nights, and then that would hopefully lead to more attendance overall
  1. Louie would like to see the organization grow to 400+ in 5 years
  2. Maybe we should have a membership focal to handle reaching out to societies
    1. Past President?
  3. Cameron – I am hearing a general theme of lack of engagement
    1. We could pitch to companies to get them to encourage their members to get involved
  4. Many groups pay dues but do not have reps to send to meetings
  1. Adjourn
    1. 7:16 adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

November 5th, 2018 Meeting Minutes

November 5, 2018 PSEC Meeting

  1. Call to Order
    Meeting called to order at 6:08pm
  2. Approval of Agenda
    Motion to approve agenda, seconded, approved
  3. Approval of Minutes
    Marina just got access to the wordpress account and will post meeting minutes from this meeting and last.
  4. Around the Room
    Went around the room, received updates from different organizations in attendance. Many of which are viewable on the calendar.
  5. Treasurer Report
    New update since last report: banquet deposit made. Going to send the dues reminder email to current and past society members – some inactive groups may have interest again so hope to reach them this way. Send the dues request to treasurer, president, and dues rep. If unclear who to get a hold of will email anyone they know in the section
  6. Calendar
    -Added the PSEC Awards deadline to the calendar. Engineering fair and banquet are also on the calendar. These are the only dates set so far for PSEC.
    -Banquet is set as 6-10pm.
    -1st Thursday in December is AIAA fly off (free 1st Thursday evening). This is a competition for middle/high schoolers where they build an electric plane.
    -Reminder that you can sync your google calendar with the PSEC website to have your events auto-included in the PSEC Calendar
  7. Website Updates
    Not a lot of updates since last month other than adding the nominations form for awards. Deadline is the 14th. Added Marina’s email as secretary for the secretary alias so that emails will be sent to her for secretary.
  8. Banquet Update
    1. Still hunting for a speaker
      1. Elaine has a conflict and will not be able to speak
      2. We would like to have someone from the UW Bothell to talk about their experiences in stem… students attracting students to get in to STEM fields
  • Alternate topic is that we are close to the 50th anniversary of the 747’s flight
    1. Official Boeing historian to talk about the history of the 747
  1. Last year’s photographer sent an email about this year’s event
    1. Last year she upped her rate at the last minute (after the event)
    2. Could get her to commit to a price upfront this year
  • Or we could go to an alternative photographer
  1. Path forward is to ask her what her price is, if it works with our budget we will go with her and if it does not then we will find someone else
  1. Brochure describing different sponsorship logos
    1. Suggestion to add info on what the banquet, why is it happening, who comes
      1. Who’s going to be there, who will see your logo, etc
    2. Add PSEC logo on the top
  • Add pictures from last year too, maybe pictures of winners
  1. Clarify that companies are comfortable with having their logo shared (and confirm its not outdated)
  2. Add contact information
  1. When will we set up registration? Probably during November break
  1. Mentor Nights
    1. No updates on mentor nights – nothing added to the calendar
    2. Louie has an action item to look at Seattle Central and UW Bothell night
    3. Lacking a mentor night coordinator, it is not likely we will have any mentor nights
      1. Don’t we have some people signed up for this?
      2. Action item to look for a mentor night coordinator – go to their societies and ask for the volunteers
        1. President to put together an email call for mentor night coordinator & chair
  • We should identify who was coordinating individual locations in past years
  1. Coordinator and chair are two separate activities that require different people
    1. Jason may have descriptions from the past he can share
  2. Side topic – we don’t send out notices that meetings are occurring which likely contributes to low attendance. We haven’t sent out a notice in advance that these meetings are occurring and we want more people to be here.
    1. We used to send one on the Monday before to remind people and then reminders later in the week
    2. The president has to come out with an agenda with enough notice, or we can call it a draft agenda
  • Agenda stays pretty much the same, but some topics drop off the agenda after they occur
  1. Action Item Review
    1. Kathi was going to suggest non-traditional groups as candidates PSEC memberships
    2. Stan is still working on inventory list
      1. Kathi likely has the banner
      2. If you have stuff or know someone who has stuff email Stan!
    3. Stan is still working on template for mentor night report for website
    4. Share your google calendar with Stan!
    5. Dave added K-12 Outreach Career Day Speaker Coordinator Duties to drop box
      1. This was Steve’s role
      2. Highest priority for recruiting is mentor coordinators/chair but we should also keep this in mind for recruiting future responsibilities.
    6. Report on Speaker search is done
    7. Report on banquet sponsorship is done
    8. Still need to figure out what gail Cornelius wants for UW engineers week event
    9. Still need to check on possibility of seattle central and uq bothell mentor night
  2. Adjourn
« Previous PageNext Page »

October 1st Meeting Minutes

PSEC Meeting 10/01/2018

Agenda approved, minutes approved

Around the room

  • Some organizations are required to go through their HQ before communicating with their members to laws from Europe)
  • Multiple clubs now have their events on the PSEC Calendar

Treasurer Report

  • Request to update roster
  • Request for dues will be coming soon
  • Nonprofit status is reinstated – this means PSEC is eligible for Boeing (and other corporate) funding
  • Need to refile every year to avoid losing it again

Calendar Updates

  • Engineering fair is confirmed for Museum of Flight for Feb 9
  • Banquet is no longer tentative (will again be held at the Museum of Flight)
  • Currently no mentor nights scheduled

Website Updates

  • Open action to create an inventory for physical things PSEC owns (banners, etc). Considering wordpress for this use
    • Expect an email asking “who has what?”
    • If you have an item that belongs to PSEC, let Stan know
    • What about previous discussion on need for a storage unit?
  • Mentor night reporting – this action hasn’t been worked yet because no mentor nights are scheduled. Idea is to have a standard template that people can complete after mentor nights to capture details/feedback.

Banquet Update

  • Museum of Flight, Skyline room, 6-10pm
  • 5pm we are allowed in for set up
  • 6-7 social
  • 7 dinner
  • Speaker – asked the UW Bothell Dean of the College of STEM to be speaker, Dr. Elaine Scott
    • One Academic award 3 years ago
    • Topic has not been decided, but have proposed something about trends in education
    • Not confirmed but “she will probably say yes”
    • Sam is open to having other speakers if people have suggestions
    • Agreement to give her a deadline of the end of the month to confirm, otherwise 11/01 we will need to reach out to secure other speakers
  • This will be the 61st annual banquet. Unfortunately we do not have any archives going back to ’58.
  • Food is not arranged
  • Working to secure a $2,000 donation from Boeing for this event
  • Sam has created a spreadsheet to break down the past award winners and their employers.
    • 39 of the past winners were Boeing employees, 27 were UW, all other companies are single digits
    • Fundraise? Before we solicit sponsorship, we need to figure out what we have to offer in exchange for sponsorship (ex, company name in the program)
    • There are lots of Aerospace companies in the area
    • Civil engineers are typically the ones who submit nominations
    • If anyone has examples of tiered sponsorship, please share with the group.
    • Boeing pays $2,000 to get 4 dinners, their name on the event and screen
    • Proposed that (silver) $500 – 1 dinner, (gold) $1000 – 2 dinner, (platinum) $2000 – 4 dinners
    • Will also put logos on program and screen, but only “platinum” ($2,000+) will be on the screen. Logos will vary in size based on sponsorship level.
    • All of this sponsorship is to sponsor the Awards Banquet, not PSEC in general
  • We will definitely want to have the Speaker finalized before creating the program
  • We do not need to have the speaker lined up before we look for sponsorship
  • We need to list that we are a not for profit on the brochure
  • Remember to include “what is the banquet” “what is it for” “what are we asking for” “what do they get for sponsorship”
  • There will be a draft document that can be voted on/edited at next months meeting
    • It should be circulated electronically prior to the next meeting so that everyone can provide feedback.
  • November is our target month to approach people for sponsorship
  • Awards will appear on the PSEC website in the middle of October and an email will be sent out to PSEC reps
    • Stan will add the deadline to the calendar
  • We could also have a table in the banquet room for companies to leave a brochure on their firm

 

Mentor Nights

  • Email from Jason Salazar and a gentleman from Seattle U – they are willing to put on a mentor night. They need someone to chair this event
  • UW is doing an engineers week event and they would like some help for that – Gail Cornealius is coordinating student chapters on campus
    • All of our member societies have student chapters at UW
    • It is unclear what the ask from PSEC is
      • Is she looking for us to send this info out to members or to attend the event and participate as PSEC?
      • Unclear if this event is in April or February
    • Seattle Pacific is coordinating an event without PSEC – no mentor night stuff
    • Need to follow up with Seattle Central for mentor night 3rd week in January
    • We typically don’t have any in the Fall?
      • Usually Seattle Pacific, Seattle U, UW Bothell maybe would be interested?
      • Need to follow up with UW Bothell to see if they are interested
    • Need to find out what the proposed date it is for Seattle U
    • Need to recruit more people to be coordinators

Action Item Review

  • Dave talked to Kathi about non-traditional potential PSEC members

Adjourn

« Previous PageNext Page »

Engineering Fair is Cancelled

February 7, 2019

Unfortunately, due to the weather that we are expected to have this weekend, this event will be canceled. PSEC will work to get everyone reimbursed for the event soon.

Thank you for all of your support. We are looking forward to seeing everyone next year! Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions. Have a safe weekend.

« Previous PageNext Page »

Shoreline Mentor Night for February 6th, 2019 has been postponed

February 6, 2019

The College is closed due to the weather so we are cancelling the Mentor Night scheduled for tonight.

We will work with Shoreline College to reschedule for some time in March or April.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

« Previous PageNext Page »