September 10th, 2018 PSEC Board Meeting Minutes

September 26, 2018

Present: John Schaufelberger, Charles Beard, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, Kathi Shoemake, Sam Gheesling, Paul Grant

Pre-meeting discussion:

Sam received estimates only from Ray’s Boathouse. Their winter arrangement may only accommodate 70 people. Compared to Museum of Flight, Ray’s comes to $84 per plate (no flower arrangement included). Currently we are at $75.63 per plate at MoF (without flowers). $86.44 per person w/ flowers @ 150 people.
If we get more sponsors, we can reduce the price.

  1. Call to Order 6:15PM
  2. Approval of Agenda – approved
  3. Approval of Minutes – approved
  4. Around the Room –
    1. Stan – PSEC website, IEEE
    2. Kathi – ASHRAE – meeting 9/11, at Motif
    3. Dave – IEEE – Microsoft Building 99 6-9PM , radio exposure
    4. Sam – ASME – October 23, Razzi’s meeting speaker arrangement coming along
    5. John – Waterfront plan, next Tuesday
    6. Paul – Wednesday this week on hwy 99 tunnel
    7. Charles – AIAA – society restructuring. No meetings. 9/11 MoF celebration this month, 747 anniversary.
  5. Treasurer Report
    1. STEM Education Support amount left in the budget.
    2. Income remained the same as we were not very far off last year
    3. Discussion of other organizations to invite
    4. 2018-19 budget approved
  6. Calendar
    1. Verify date of Engineering Fair & lead contact- February 9th, 2019. – anniversary of 747
  7. Website Updates
    1. See link for Stan’s website blog
    2. Website has more capability availability that is not being used
    3. Board members may make changes and improvements to this website
    4. Sharing files through Dropbox.
    5. There are a series of email forwards used for executive positions – these have been forwarded to the appropriate coordinator
    6. How useful are weekly action items updates? – these will be continued
  8. Mentor Nights – no coordinator
    1. Seattle Pacific University was the October Mentor night last year – they have made the decision to go it alone.
  9. Banquet Proposal
    1. The board reviewed the comparisons
    2. Decision was made that Museum of Flight will remain the location of Engineer’s Award banquet
    3. October meeting will bring potential sponsors. Will need to identify a couple sponsor tiers and benefits.
  10. Action Item Review
    1. K-12 Outreach Coordinator – we’re going to come up with a job description next meeting
    2. Outreach to non-traditional member groups
    3. Send Stan a list and pictures of PSEC items at your homes
    4. ISOW survey to past attendees & PSEC reps
  11. Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  12. Adjourn 7:49PM
« Previous Page

June 4, 2018 Meeting Minutes

September 6, 2018

PSEC Board Meeting Minutes

June 4, 2018

Present: Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, John Schaufelberger, Charles Beard, George Bondor, Jason Salazar, Kathi Shoemake, Tan, Sam Gheesling

  • Call to Order 6:04 PM
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Motioned and Approved
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Motioned and Approved
  • Around the Room
  • Stan – IEEE – events calendar synced
    • Excom meeting June 12th
  • Kathi – ASHRAE – YEA June Reception at Redhook Brewlab June 20th
  • Dave – IEEE ExCom meeting @ Microsoft
  • Tan – ASME – reorganization
  • George – SAE – general invitation for Volunteer Event
  • ASCE – local section outstanding civil engineering
  • Hardi – SAMPE – meeting June 19th –tour of LMI in Everett
    • July Crab Feed date TBD
  • John – WSPE – next meeting in September
  • Charles – AIAA next meeting is Awards Banquet at end of month
  • Treasurer Report
  • Last report of the year
    • Budget numbers lower than expected
    • $1000 for STEM education budgeted and not distributed
    • Societies that did not pay dues: AiChE, APWA, SPE, ASQ, AWS, SPE, WSPE-MR
  • Calendar
  • Tonight’s meeting is the last item on the calendar
  • No more PSEC events until fall
  • Website Updates
  • More mentor night summaries next year
  • Mentor Nights
  • Highline – not a lot of mentors nor students
    • Attendance was not an assignment through the engineering course
  • Election of 2018-19 Officers
  • Officer Slate Approved – Picture taking and installation of officers will take place in September
  • New officers:
    • President: Charles Beard
    • President-Elect: Kathi Shoemake
    • Secretary: Marina Dannecker
    • Treasurer: Dave Butcher
  • Swearing in of 2018-19 Officers
  • Next September
  • Chris received a gift box as appreciation of his service
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn

 

« Previous Page

Meeting Minutes, May 7, 2018

June 4, 2018

Attendance

Sam, Stan, Chris, John, Charles Beard, Tan, George, Jason, Kathi

Agenda

  • Call to Order
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Around the Room
    • Sam – ASME
    • Chris – AIAA
    • John – WSPE
    • Charles – AIAA
    • Tan – ASME
    • Jason –
    • Kathi – ASHRAE has Golf Tournament coming up in June and last Chapter meeting next week
  • Treasurer Report
    • Dave is on the east coast working
    • No transactions last month
    • Official IRS approval of non profit
  • Calendar
    • Highline college mentor night May 22nd
    • June council meeting
    • College Mentor night arrangements: SPU, SU and UW Bothell
  • Website Updates
    • Still Awaiting Engineer’s fair report
    • If you have calendars to sync, get Stan in contact with your website coordinator
    • ISOW Report
  •  Mentor Nights
    • Registration is up for Highline
  • ISOW
    • Recommendation of a survey for finding the better date for ISOW next year
    • Purpose of event: assist elected officers with their activities
    • Action Item: send out survey
  • Next Year’s Officers
    • Charles is President next year
    • Dave will be Treasurer
    • Pool the societies for more reps and volunteers
  • Action Item Review
    • K-12 Outreach Coordinator : work with different school districts and try to encourage more involvement in K-12 activities (science fairs, guest speakers)
    • Look to societies that already have a position which may be extended
    • Suggest non-traditional groups as PSEC members
    • Template for Mentor Night Report
    • Venues for Engineering Banquet
  • Adjourn
« Previous Page

PSEC March 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

March 19, 2018

March 5, 2018

Present: Chris Roberdeau, Sam Gheesling, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, John Schaufelberger, Don Flemming, Jason Salazar, Grace LeFebure, Hardik Dalal, George Bondor, Tan

Our next meeting will be Monday March 5 at 6pm at Razzi’s in Greenwood. The agenda is below:

  • Call to Order Start 6PM
  • Approval of Agenda
    • approved
  • Approval of Minutes
    • Minutes for Feb meeting still pending – approve in April
  • Around the Room
    • Stan Dyck, PSEC online webmaster – There may be some issues with representatives list sign up – contact Stan if you experience issues
    • Jason Salazar, Handing off the Student Mentor Night Duties
    • Kathi Shoemake, ASHRAE, Student Activities Hockey Night March 17th, tour of Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium March 14th, and Chapter Meeting about Working with Millennials on March 21st.
    • Dave IEEE, officer training just wrapped up, Meeting next Tuesday
    • Don Flemming, ISE
    • George Bondor, SAE, working on website and mailing list Meeting Scheduled in April, WWU Formula SAE competition
    • Grace Lefebure, SWE, Amazon Fresh/Prime tour for March sold out, there will be a tour in April.
      Looking for volunteers for SWE outreach programs
    • Hardik, SAMPE, March event, April 16th @ UW WAC, student poster competition and presentation
    • John, WSPE-SE, Best western Tuesday, March 6th, Cycle races in Bergen Norway and issues
    • Charles Beard, AIAA
    • Paul Grant, ASCE, meeting Wed 14th, Sound Transit north Link Station
    • Chris Roberdeau, IEEE, March 28, technical dinner Guggenheim Auditorium
    • Sam Gheesling, ASME, no plans for March.  Would like to reach out to other organizations for coordinated meetings. Aiming for presentations in April/May
  • Treasurer Report
    • Expenses for Banquet and Engineering Fair are in.
    • Summary shared at meeting
    • Dues not yet received by SAMPE, ASQ and APWA
  • Storage of PSEC Items
    • Public Storage space, $80/month currently used by IEEE
    • Shop for storage, central location, one space for all items.
  • Calendar
    • Nothing left in March
    • April – only board meeting, April 2nd.
    • May – ISOW, May 5th.
  • Website Updates
    • Please share your calendars with PSEC
    • Banquet photos are now uploaded
    • Request for a Banquet write up – Sam
    • Engineering Fair – write up for website – Beth
    • Past president list – will post links to obituaries
    • Looking for 2016-17 officer’s picture – Did Luis take this?
    • LinkedIn – reinvigorate? Add pictures for banquet – Kailan is the page owner – contact him to share
    • Live tweeting and FBlive
  • Mentor Nights
    • UW Bothell – Andrew Gall, ASME, coordinating
    • UW Bothell is having an Engineering Fair soon (SWE is participating)
    • Highline – April Mentor night coordinated by Steve Snelling
    • North Seattle College Mentor Night March 1st, 17 Mentors mostly from last year’s Mentor Night. Bill of $353.41 for food submitted.
    • Bill payment approved
    • This year – fewer students (80 perhaps – number to be confirmed), engineering advisor retiring
    • Arranging a new mentor coordinator
    • Bellevue College – Chris will make contact
  • Engineering Fair
    • 2nd weekend of February next year
  • Awards Banquet
    • Done!
    • Next year: 3rd Saturday of February (16th)
    • Ray’s Boathouse was suggested, this will be investigated
    • Open to comparisons – apples to apples (meat, fish and veggie meals) – until September
    • Sponsorship will also bring the ticket price down – please reach out for sponsorship
  • ISOW
    • This month, will update website with details
    • Seattle U Mech chair, Theodora, was a Mentor coordinator for PSEC lunches
    • Will continue talking with her
  • Action Item Review
  • Adjourn – 7:18 PM
« Previous Page

PSEC Meeting Notes 12.04.2017

January 3, 2018

PSEC Meeting – Dec 4, 2017

Present: Sam Ghesling, Stan Dyck, Chris Roberdeau, Tran Dihn, Marina, George Bondor, Don Flemming, Andrew Galan, Charles Beard, Luis Leon

  • Call to Order : 6:00PM
  • Approval of Agenda : Motioned & Approved
  • Approval of Minutes : Not yet available, will approve both Nov. & Dec at next meeting
  • Around the Room :
    • Sam Ghesling: ASME, Dec 11 at Razzi’s – Scott Jarnigan – Complexity of the Product Development Cycle
    • Stan Dyck : IEEE
    • Tran Dihn : Is our invited guest
    • Marina : SWE – Annual Holiday Party on Dec. 9 at Living Computer Museum
    • George Bondor :SAE meeting at Mac & jack Brewery
    • Don Flemming : IISE Tour of Starbucks roasting Plan 12/7
    • Andre Galan:  SME, no meeting planned for Dec.
    • Charles Beard: AIAA – meeting on 12/7 with Lindberg Electric aircraft Fly-Off (electric plane competition) at Museum of Flight
    • Luis Leon : ASM Monthly meeting 12/12 at Azteca in Bellevue, Significant Others invited, topic: Basic Principles and Materials used in music
    • Chris Roberdeau : AIAA
  • SWE request: Chris will be meeting with SWE to discuss the value of PSEC membership
    •  Jan 7th SWE executive meeting
    • Discuss SWE letter to the council
    • Make PSEC metrics more visible
  • Treasurer Report : Account balance and Dues payment received shared with council
    • IRS has received the application for 501C3 status and is in review
    • Council discussed reaching out to other companies (besides Boeing) for sponsorship
  • Calendar :
    • Award Nominations due next Friday, 12/15,
    • Seattle Central College Mentor Night on Jan 25th – make announcement
    • The Banquet and Fair are scheduled for February
  • Engineering Fair : Booths are available for reservation
  • Mentor Nights
    • SU – coming up
    • UW Bothell – Cameron point of contact (ASME Vice Chair)
    • North Seattle, Shoreline and Everett Colleges in spring
    • Olympic College –reached out to arrange a mentor night in Spring 2018
    • Chris will reach out to Paul to check progress on UW Bothell
    • Will investigate WSU and Everett joint extension program
  • Engineering Fair
    • Posting is ready to go out
    • Reaching out for booth reservations – booths are now available
    • Bridge Building competition will be going on at the same day and time
  • Awards Banquet : Museum of Flight February 3rd, 2018, speaker : B-29 and B-17 , Dale Thompson, MOF Volunteer,
  • 60th Annual banquet
    • Looking for Historical items – to make 60 year historical summary
    • Solicit sponsors
    • 1958 Local engineering feats and accomplishments
    • To Add website announcement with speakers bio
  • Awards Committee: Submission date of 12/15. Select and submit your nominations now!!!
  • ISOW : May 5th, 10:30 AM please talk with your society about topics to discuss
  • Open Discussion
    • Topic: Should PSEC reach out to non-engineering societies for membership
    • Response was positive – Seems to be acceptable per bylaws
  • Action Item Review
    • Gather history of PSEC items
    • Reach out to past presidents
    • Reach out companies for sponsorship
  • Adjourn : 7:30PM
« Previous Page

PSEC Meeting Notes 11.06.17

PSEC Meeting – Nov. 11, 2017

Present: Sam Ghesling, Stan Dyck, Dave Butcher, George Bondor, Don Flemming, Marina, Luis Leon, Chris Roberdeau, Kathi Shoemake

  • Call to Order : 6:02PM
  • Approval of Agenda : Motioned & Approved
  • Approval of Minutes : Not available yet
  • Around the Room :
    • Stan Dyck : IEEE
    • Dave Butcher : IEEE 11/9 Nanotech for Cancer Screening
    • George Bondor :SAE 11/18 LaMay Museum
    • Don Flemming : IISE Tour of Starbucks roasting Plan 12/7
    • SWE : online meeting 12/15 Blue Origin Tour, KISE (Kids in Science & Engineering
    • Luis Leon : ASM Monthly meeting now downstairs Tesla R&D typical materials and Processes used on automotive bodies
    • WSPE : Mon 20th Best Western : WestPoint Treatment plant What happened
    • Sam Ghesling: Next Tues meeting  Stress analysis engineer on Terra Power
    • Chris Roberdeau: AIAA council meeting next Tues. Next Sat Annual Tech Symposium in Lynnwood
    • 10/19 Art Moss was in a coma and died 10/22, Memorial Service coming up next Weds.
  • Treasurer Report : PSEC Account Update shared with representatives present
    • Reminder: Talk with your societies to pay your dues
  • Calendar : Banquet has been moved to the 3rd, January meeting moved to 8th, Dec 15th Awards Nominations due, Seattle Central College mentor night in January, Feb 10th Engineering Fair
  • Website Updates :
  • Mentor Nights
    • SPU : 10/18th  room changes made student interaction in other rooms than the panel discussion, was a bit noisy, 76  students to 31 mentors, remuneration for students suggested  –  $4/head ~ $400 , motioned and approved
    • SU
    • Olympic College –reached out to arrange a mentor night in Spring 2018
  • AIAA Tech Symposium Sponsorship : PSEC sponsorship multi-tiered availability,  sponsorship rejected by consensus
  • Engineering Fair : Caterer is arranged and lined up
  • Awards Banquet: Museum of Flight, usual room, setup at 5 event at 6. Meals selected – no change from previous years, speaker : B-29 and B-17 , Dale Thompson, Herb is the other speaker, single speaker, 60th Annual banquet
  • Awards Committee: Submission date of 12/15. Select and submit your nominations now!!!
  • ISOW : Saturday in May, TBD , please talk with your society about topics to discuss
  • Action Item Review
    • Look into history of engineering speaker
    • Confirm ISOW date
    • Confirm date for SCC mentor night
  • Adjourn : 7:09PM
« Previous Page

Meeting Minutes September 11, 2017

September 25, 2017

PSEC Meeting – Sept. 11, 2017

Present: Chris Roberdeu, Sam Ghesling, John Schaufelberger, Dave Butcher, George Bender, Don Fleming, Art and Judy Moss, Charles Beard, Andrew Gaul, Marina Daniker, Ray Wolfe, Stan Dyke, Paul Grant

  • Call to Order – Called
  • Approval of Agenda – Vote taken: Approved
  • Approval of June Minutes – Vote taken: Approved
  • Introductions/Around the Room
    • Sam Ghessling (ASME) – next chapter meeting @ Razzi’s 9/12 5:30-9
    • Dave Butcher (IEEE) – next chapter meeting 9/12 6-7 Microsoft rm 1999 Presentation of Hydraulic and Electric actuation
    • George Bender (SAE) – Next board meeting 9/12
    • Don Fleming (IISE) – tours are planned for the year
    • Art and Judy Moss (ASQ) – 9/14 chapter presentation on job hunting & interview skills @ Coast Hotel in Bellevue, Oct meeting is on website
    • Charles Beard (AIAA) – board meeting 9/11
    • Chris Roberdeu (PSEC President /AIAA) – tech symposium next month
    • Andrew Gaul (SME) – meeting occurred Sat (9/9). Tour of casting plant
    • Kathi (ASHRAE) – next chapter meeting (9/14) presentation on State of Refrigerants Today
    • Marina Daniker (SWE) – officer meeting 9/10, nothing else scheduled yet.
    • Ray Wolfe (INCOSE) – Actively planning a regional conference.
    • Stan Dyck (IEEE) website is PSEConline.org
    • Paul Grant (ASCE) – next meeting is Wednesday, 9/13
  • President’s Goals for the Year
    1. Maintain good strong participation and involvement in engineering fair and activites
    2. STEM focus and participation growth
    3. Society and commitment from engineering societies
  • Treasurer Report
    1. IRS low down – IRS requires a long form 1023 which requires 4 year of past finances. Finance will be done by the end this week.
    2. Update rooster – Request to update rooster with new officers (representatives & treasurer)
    3. Budget review – Standard numbers used for most line items. Income, fair and banquet. Added IRS filing with margin of error. STEM education item.

Vote taken: approved

  • Calendar
    Mentor Nights on the calendar
    PSEC meetings for the year
    Mentor night 10/17 Seattle Pacific University – 4 different rooms instead of one
    Issues being experienced with EventBrite – please assist if you know the EventBrite
    Engineers fair is not yet scheduled Bridge building competition has moved to same day as banquet. Chris will confirm fair day.
    Banquet is scheduled 2/10/17. Banquet reservation needs to be confirmed.
    First weekend in May is ASQ World – Wa St convention center
    Add your society events to the website
  • Website Updates
    PSECevents@gmail.com – Allows you to insert events with a gmail account the google calendar will easily share
    Do outreach to your society. Point them to the PSEC website and get sharing.
    If you are not on the email list contact Stan
  • Mentor Nights
    Looking for a volunteer to be mentor nights chair- it doesn’t have to be a rep
    Who had spearheaded these nights? Louie, Steve, Jason
  • Engineering Fair
    See above. Beth is the chairperson regarding the fair.
    Stamp booklet scavenger hunt recommended where visiting a booth will get you a stamp.
  • Awards Banquet
    Sam is in contact – Sat Feb 10th hold for the skyline room – needs approval for confirmation
    Motion : Commit to Museum of Flight & make deposits & sign Contract on either of 10th or 17th whichever is available. – Approved
    Chris will confirm date
    Suggestions for keynote speaker are requested
  • Awards Committee
    John is planning on solicitations for award submissions in October. Nominations due Mid-December
  • ISOW
    Kathi will spearhead this year
  • Action Item Review
    • Update contact information with Steve {All}
    • Share google calendar with Stan {All}
    • Verify date of Engineering Fair {Chris}
    • Cement date for banquet {Stan}
    • Find an Outreach/K-12 coordinator {All}
    • Solicit your societies for a Mentor Night coordinator {All}
    • Solicit recommendations for ASQ speakers {All}
  • Adjourn
« Previous Page