May 2, 2016 Meeting Minutes

Published: May 10, 2016
by Dave

Meeting Minutes

Date:  Monday May 2
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103


Stan Dyck IEEE
Mark Powers IISE
Luis Leon ASMI
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
John Schaufelberger WSPE
Charles Beard AIAA
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
Neal Jaques WSP-Mt Rainier
Steve Snelling IIE
Sam Gheesling ASME
Dave Butcher IEEE
Ray Willaford INCOSE
Julie Bennett SWE

Meeting Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All
    • See attendance above
  2. Approval of Agenda: All
    • Agenda approved (motion by John, second by Steve)
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: All
    • Minutes approved (motion by Luis, second by John)
  4. Treasurer’s Report: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • The receipts from the ISOW are the only outstanding expenses left in the program year
  5. Website Updates: Stan Dyck (IEEE)
    • See linked report
    • It was mentioned that there is no page on the web site that tells you how to become a PSEC member.
  6. ISOW: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • Workshop is this weekend from 10:30 to 2:00
    • Dave will purchase the food
    • Dave encouraged everyone to get people to RSVP
  7. Nominations Committee: Luis Leon (ASMI)
    • The nomination slate is being assembled
    • So far, Dave is President, Chris is President Elect.
    • Treasurer and Secretary positions are still unfilled
    • Luis will be sending out a call for nominations
    • Some discussion was held about whether committee chairs should be identified also. This is the President’s responsibility.
  8. Mentor Nights: Jason Salazar (ASME)
    1. Highline College: Luis Leon (ASMI)
      • The event went well. There were around 90-100 students and 24 mentors
      • The pizza could have been better
      • Luis pointed out that we should try to get better college participation
    2. Bellevue Mentor Day (May 3)Jason Salazar (ASME)
      • The college has been driving this
      • Eleven mentors signed up so far. More are needed.
      • Participation is good. They are getting alumni to volunteer as mentors.
      • Corporate participation should be encouraged.
    3. Shoreline Mentor Night (May 11)Steve Snelling (IIE)
      • Eleven mentors signed up. More are needed. Any discipline is fine.
      • We expect around 80+ students
      • This will be the first time in many years for this college so it is important that we make a good showing.
  9. Events Calendar for 2015-2016: Sam Gheesling (ASME)
    • ISOW, two Mentor Nights and the June Council meeting are the only remaining events
  10. Open Discussion: All
    • Steve gave a report from the Washington Council for Engineering and Related Technical Education (WCERTE) event in Des Moines. He gave a short presentation on what PSEC is. He hopes that the PSEC will maintain contact with them
    • Luis reported that he was on an engineering panel at the UW Bothell put on by the ASME student chapter. There was some discussion of getting the Mentor Night event back there though the faculty is currently busy with getting their accreditation squared away.
    • There was some discussion of the Portland E-Week event (you can participate in more discussion here)
  11. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting Review: All
    • See the list below

Action Items

  • Check Societies Page to make sure it is correct [All]
  • Create banquet post [Luis]
  • Look into photo subject rules for events [Jason]
  • Nominating committee should consider finding a high school coordinator [Steve]
  • Post a memorial to  Don Goehler like the one on the ASMI site [Stan]
  • Get photo of Don for memoriam post [Luis]
  • Send out call for nominations with treasurer/secretary duties [Luis]
  • Bring camera for June meeting for new officers photo [Jason]

Leave a Reply