April 4, 2016 Meeting Minutes

Published: April 14, 2016
by Dave

Meeting Minutes

Date:  Monday Apr 04
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Location: Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103


Stan Dyck IEEE
Chris Roberdeau AIAA
Paul Grant ASCE
Art & Jude Moss ASQ
John Schaufelberger WSPE
Luis Leon ASMI
Steve Snelling IIE
Sam Gheesling ASME
George Bondor SAE
Dave Butcher IEEE

Meeting Agenda

  1. Introductions & Updates on Member Societies’ Events: All
    • See attendance above
  2. Approval of Agenda: All
    • Agenda approved (motion by John, seconded by Chris)
  3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes: All
    • Minutes approved (motion y John, seconded by Steve)
  4. Treasurer’s Report: Chris Roberdeau (AIAA)
    • One correction was noted on the cost of the awards plaques
    • Chris noted that some checks for the banquet turned up missing so stop payments were placed
    • Banquet expenses were lower this year compared to last year. This was because of the lower priced menu.
  5. Website Updates: Stan Dyck (IEEE)
  6. Nominations Committee : Luis Leon (ASMI)
    • A committee is being formed. So far it includes Luis, Steve and John
    • A nomination slate will be brought to the next meeting
    • Please bring nominations to the attention of one of the committee members
  7. ISOW: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
    • A flyer has been created and will be sent out soon. Dave and Carmen will work with Stan to update the PSEC website.
    • There will be three tables again this year
      1. Programs – What types of meetings do societies have and how to they handle remote members
      2. Communications – How do societies keep in touch with their membership
      3. Awards Nominations – Paul agreed to speak a bit on how the ASCE is able to produce quality nominations every year for the banquet.
    • Concessions still need to be worked out. Dave agreed to work with Neal on this
    • Dave will also work on drumming up attendance for the event.
  8. Mentor Nights:
    1. Everett CC Dinner With Industry: Steve Snelling (IIE)
      • Will be held on Friday. SWE is coordinating. There will be a raffle.
    2. Highline College Mentor Night: Luis Leon (ASMI)
      • Coming up in 3 weeks
      • 6 mentors so far, we would like to get 25.
      • Luis will be sending a note out soon.
    3. Bellevue College Mentor Lunch: Dave Butcher (IEEE)
      • This is a new format this year. A lunch event.
    4. Shoreline CC Mentor Night: Steve Snelling (IIE)
      • Eventbrite site is up. There has not been a Mentor Night at Shoreline for about 6 years
  9. Request for Endorsement for Washington State Commissioner: Peter Opsahl (SEAW)
    • Peter asked the PSEC to endorse Marjorie Lund for an open position on the State Board of Engineers. Her resume was presented
    • Steve stated that the IIE rules prohibit endorsements
    • Paul suggested that perhaps only a few of the member societies would be allowed
    • There is nothing in the PSEC bylaws that prohibit it
    • it was decided not to extend an endorsement. Sam will contact Peter.
  10. Events Calendar for 2015-2016: Sam Gheesling (ASME)
    • Events calendar is set for the remainder of the program year.
  11. Open Discussion: All
    • Steve brought up the issue of the High School speaker program. It is currently moribund since Gary Foss has retired. It needs a new organizer. Steve will ask around. It was agreed to wait to see if a person could be located but this issue will be revisted if no candidate is identified.
    • Luis noted that the ASMI magazine had a memorial notice for Don Goehler who passed away earlier this year. It was agreed that we should place a similar notice on the PSEC website. Stan will see to it.
  12. Action Items from Previous and this Meeting Review: All
    • See list below

Action Items

  • Check Societies Page to make sure it is correct [All]
  • Bring camera for officer photo [Jason]
  • Create banquet post [Luis]
  • Look into photo subject rules for events [Jason]
  • Need food options for ISOW [Dave]
  • ISOW Website needs updating [Dave]
  • Send email to Peter about endorsement [Sam]
  • Nominating committee should consider finding a high school coordinator [Dave]
  • Post a memorial to  Don Goehler like the one on the ASMI site [Stan]

Leave a Reply